Dr. U. Kamachi Mudali
Associate Director, Corrosion Science and Technology Group & Materials, Process and Equipment Development Group, Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research, Department of Atomic Energy, Kalpakkam
Areas of Interest:
- Localised Corrosion Studies (Pitting, Crevice Corrosion & Intergranular Corrosion) of Stainless Steels and their Weldments.
- Advanced Materials Development for Highly Corrosive Nitric Acid / Molten Chloride/Molten Uranium.
- Establishing Corrosion Loops and Online Corrosion Monitoring for Long Term Corrosion Rate Assessment and Life Assessment.
- Coatings, Surface Modification and Surface Characterisation.
- Nanostructured Coatings and Surface Modification.
- Biomaterials and Coatings for Orthopedic Implant Devices.
- Research & Development towards Materials, Process and Equipment Development for Spent Nuclear Fuel Reprocessing.
Metallurgy, Materials Science, Corrosion Science and Engineering, Coating Technologies, Surface Engineering, Surface Analysis, Electrochemical Science and Technology, Chemical Process and Equipment Development, Radiation Resistant Materials, Nanostructured Materials and Coatings
Corrosion Control and Prevention, Corrosion Testing and Monitoring, Corrosion Failure Analysis, Advanced Materials, Coating Technologies, Surface Analysis and Characterization, Reprocessing Materials, Equipments, and Process.
Sector Associated With:
Sectors Interested to Offer Service:
Educational / Academic institutions, Industry (Private), Industry (PSUs), R&D Organizations, Government (including funding agencies)
Major Professional Contributions:
Dr. U. Kamachi Mudali has made pioneering contributions in corrosion science and technology towards development of materials and coatings for highly corrosive environments for critical applications in nuclear industry since 1984. Dr. Kamachi Mudali made an innovative approach to enhance the localized corrosion resistance of austenitic stainless steels by which nitrogen was added as an alloying element, initially to the weld, and later to the bulk material, with different nitrogen contents. Dr. Mudali made pioneering contributions to the development of materials for highly corrosive and radioactive environment of dissolver vessel of spent (U,Pu)C fuel reprocessing plant. A novel ‘double oxide coating on titanium for reconditioning (DOCTOR)’ process was developed by him for enabling the use of high iron content indigenous titanium for fabricating dissolver vessel. In the field of electrode materials for electrochemical processing one of the unique and ‘first time’ development of Dr. Mudali was ‘mixed oxide coated titanium anodes (MOCTA)’ and ‘thermochemically glazed MOCTAG’ electrodes (patented) for application as electrodes in severely corrosive 11.5 N nitric acid at boiling condition. Thus Dr. Mudali has made many first time innovations through science based technological application philosophy. Dr. Mudali has developed innovative nanostructured, self-healing coatings and superhydrophobic surfaces for enhanced corrosion resistance. Dr. Mudali has set up a ‘high temperature corrosion testing facility’ for materials and coating selection for molten chloride environments of metallic fuel based pyrochemical reprocessing plant applications. Thermal barrier Yttria stabilized zirconia coatings and Yttria coatings have been developed by him for molten salt and molten uranium applications. Dr. Mudali has established a ‘dynamic nitric acid loop’ made of AISI 304L SS which is a unique facility of 400 litres capacity simulating the reprocessing plant conditions. The loop has completed 10000 hrs of operation and the corrosion rate has been modeled using Artificial Neural Networking to predict the life of plant components.
Dr. Mudali has published 370 papers in journals, co-edited 14 books/proceedings, and hold a h-index of 28. He has been a Visiting Scientist at leading laboratories and institutions in Germany, Japan, UK, France, Israel, Bulgaria etc. Dr. Mudali was Associate Editor of Journal of Electrochemical Society of India till 2014, Key Reader for Metallurgical and Materials Transactions-A since 2010, and is a Member of Editorial Board of Seven recognised national and international journals. Dr. Mudali hold many responsible positions including Chairman of Corrosion Protection and Finishes Committee (MTD-24) of BIS. He is Chairman of Faraday Council of Corrosion and Coordinator of Corrosion Management Committee of Confederation of Indian Industry, and Chairman of Engineering Heritage-Metallurgy Committee of INAE.
Dr. Mudali is Fellow of NACE International, USA; ASM International, USA; Asia Pacific Academy of Materials; Indian National Academy of Engineering; Indian Institute of Metals; Tamilnadu Academy of Sciences; Institution of Engineers (India), and a Honorary Fellow of Electrochemical Society of India. He has been recognized with the following international fellowships:
• Max-Planck Institute Fellowship, MPI, Dusseldorf, Germany, 1994.
• Science and Technology Agency Fellowship, NIMS, Tsukuba, Japan, 1998.
• Gordon Energy Centre Fellowship, Tel Aviv University, 2003 to deliver an intensive course on “Advanced Materials and Manufacturing Processes for Power Plant Components” from May 28 to June 04, 2003 at Tel Aviv University, Israel.
• Poitiers Regional Fellowship, France to work at LCD, ENSMA, Futuroscope, France, Sept.- Oct. 2008.
• Max-Planck Institute Fellowship, MPI, Dusseldorf, Germany, 2012.
Optional Professional Information:
• As a Senior Professor of HBNI, DAE, Kalpakkam he has conducted every year three courses relevant to corrosion.
• As a research guide/co-ordinator/co-investigator, contributed to 154 research projects by students and research scholars from various academic institutions institutions including: 34 B.E./B. Tech., 34 M. Sc. (App. Sci/MS), 16 M. Sc. (Chem.), 4 M. Sc. (CS/Phy), 39 M. Phil./M. Tech./M. E. and 16 (+11 in progress) PhD (Metallurgy ./ Analytical Chemistry / Corrosion / Physics).
• Member, Board of Studies, Engineering Sciences of HBNI, Mumbai for organising and conducting courses at various units of DAE (2007-2014).
• Chairman, Chemical Sciences and Member of Coordination Committee of both Chemical & Engineering Sciences of HBNI, Kalpakkam.
• Adjunct Professor, PSG College of Technology & PSG Institute of Advanced Studies, Coimbatore, for lectures and supporting R&D activities on nanomaterials and coatings, metallurgy & materials science.
• Member, Board of Studies : PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore for Science and Humanities; Lady Doak College, Madurai for Chemical Sciences.
Actively served to the following professional associations in multiple responsibilities:
• Indian National Academy of Engineering, New Delhi: Chairman of Engineering Heritage – Metallurgy, and organised a website for providing information on metallurgical heritage; Convener, INAE Silver Jubilee Video Film Committee & Event Management of CAETS-2015.
• The Indian Institute of Metals, Kolkata: Fellow and National Council Member, Chairman of Kalpakkam Chapter (2007-11), Founder Convener of National Prof. Brahm Prakash Memorial Materials Quiz & IIM Human Resources Development Centre (HRDC), Kalpakkam-Chennai, Member-Secretary, IIM Book Series.
• National Association of Corrosion Engineers, USA: Vice Chair of East Asia Pacific Area of NACE International; Secretary of Gateway India Section (NIGIS), Mumbai: Advisor of NIGIS South Zone; Chairman of CORCON 2015. Corrosion Management Committee of Confederation of Indian Industry: Member and Coordinator, Captain of Team on ‘Human Resources” and Leader, Corrosion Audit and Survey in industries; Chairman of Faraday Council of Corrosion.
• Society for Advancement of Electrochemical Science and Technology, Karaikudi: Chairman, Kalpakkam Chapter and organised Electrochemistry & Corrosion Camp for students during 2007 and 2008; Chairman of NCE-14, 2007, Kalpakkam.
• Electrochemical Society of India, Bangalore: Governing Council Member since 2010, Vice President (2014-16); Convener, ICONEST 2014.
• American Society for Materials International (ASM), Chennai Chapter: Chairman since 2015, and Co-Chairman, International Conference HTSE 2016. As a national Professional Leader in the area of corrosion science and engineering, Dr. Mudali has conducted various training programmes, courses, conferences and symposia of high relevance to improving the quality of industry persons working in the areas of coatings and corrosion science and technology.
As a Specialist in various aspects of corrosion engineering and coatings development Dr. Mudali has provided significant consultancy to Indian chemical, nuclear and allied industries and offered valuable solutions in cost saving and production oriented corrosion related problems. Dr. Kamachi Mudali has extensively collaborated with professional bodies and other research institutions for promoting corrosion research and awareness in the country. Several industries and institutions like, (i) Orchid Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals, Chennai, (ii) MTAR, Hyderabad, (iii) Triveni Engineering Industries, Bangalore, (iv) Madras Atomic Power Station, Kalpakkam, (v) Tata Steel, Jamshedpur, (vi) BHAVINI, Kalpakkam, (vii) L&T, Powai, and (viii) Confederation of Indian Industries, Avantha Centre for Excellence, Chandigarh. etc. have benefited with such collaborations leading to consultancy, case studies and failure analysis.
From 1984 to present - 31 years of R&D experience in nuclear industry towards materials development and selection, corrosion engineering, surface modification & coatings, corrosion monitoring, and failure analysis related to steels & stainless steels, titanium, zirconium and their alloys related to fast breeder reactor and associated spent nuclear fuel reprocessing plants. Currently focusing on fast breeder reactor spent fuel reprocessing, with respect to: engineering development, nonmetallic materials development, process chemistry, modeling, equipment development and aqueous electrochemistry. Positions held since 1984 are as follows:
- Associate Director, Corrosion Science and Technology Group (since March 2011) & Materials, Process and Equipment Development Group (since September 2015).
- Head, Reprocessing Research and Development Division (July 2009-Aug. 2015).
- Convener, IGCAR Patents & Technology Transfer Cell (since January 2009).
- Head, Corrosion Science and Technology Division (November 2010 to March 2011).
- Head, Corrosion Science & Technology Section – Reprocessing Plant Materials (July’04- March’11).
Metallurgy, Materials Science, Corrosion Science and Engineering, Coating Technologies, Surface Engineering, Surface Analysis, Electrochemical Science and Technology, Chemical Process and Equipment Development, Radiation Resistant Materials, Nanostructured Materials and Coatings, Corrosion Testing and Analysis, Corrosion Monitoring
Dr. U. Kamachi Mudali
Outstanding Scientist & Associate Director,
Corrosion Science and Technology Group & Materials, Process and Equipment Development Group
Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research
Kalpakkam – 603 102, Tamil Nadu, India
Tel; +91 (44) 27480121, 27480126 (O), 27481579 (R), 09443884515 (mobile)
Fax: +91 (44) 27480121, 27480126, 27480301
- Madras University / IGCAR, Kalpakkam-PhD 1988-1993 - Metallurgical Engineering.
- Indian Institute of Technology / Bombay - M. Tech. - 1982-1984 - Corrosion Science and Engineering - 2nd Rank (8.84/10).
- Madras University / P.S.G. College of Technology, Coimbatore-M. Sc. 1980-1982 -Materials Science-First
- Madras University / Coimbatore Institute of Technology, Coimbatore-B. Sc. 1977 -1980-Applied Sciences-First Class.
Awards and Major Professional Recognitions
- National Metallurgists Day Award from Ministry of Steel, GOI and Indian Institute of Metals (IIM).
- Homi Bhabha Science and Technology Award from DAE.
- ONGC Excellence and NIGIS Meritorious Awards in Corrosion Science and Technology from NACE International, India Section.
- VASVIK Award in the field of Material & Metallurgical Sciences & Technology.
- G. D. Birla Gold Medal Award for outstanding Research work in the field of Materials Sciences and Technologies from IIM.
INAE Section Affiliated To: Section VIII: Mining, Metallurgical, and Materials Engineering
Year of Election to Fellowship: 2009
Year of Birth: 1960, 3rd September