Professor Tarun Kant
Institute Chair Professor, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IIT BOMBAY)
Areas of Interest:
Solid and Structural Mechanics, Computational Mechanics including Finite Elements, Plates and Shells, Mechanics of Composite Materials and Structures, Use of Polymer Composites in Civil Engineering
Theory of Elasticity, Plates and Shells, Finite Element Methods
Evaluation of buildings and other special structures, Expert opinion on strength, stability and durability of structural systems
Sector Associated With:
Sectors Interested to Offer Service:
Educational / Academic institutions, Industry (Private), Industry (PSUs), Government (including funding agencies), Consultancy Firms, Private Agencies
Major Professional Contributions:
Made significant contributions in the areas of theory of plates and shells, mechanics of composites, partial discretization technique and finite element methods.
Visiting Professors at University of Swansea in UK, University of Cambridge in UK and University of California in Los Angeles in USA.
Plates, Shells, Composites, Mechanics, Buildings, Assessment of structural systems, Finite Elements
Professor Dr Tarun Kant
201 Shree Ram Niwas
157 Hare Krishna Road
IIT Market, Powai
Phone: (022) 2577 1090 (Home)
Mobile: 0 996 916 4646
- B.Sc. (1962) [Allahabad University].
- B. Tech. (1967) [Civil Engineering, IIT Bombay].
- M. Tech. (1969) [Structural Engineering, IIT Kanpur].
- PhD (1977) [Thick Shells, IIT Bombay].
Awards and Major Professional Recognitions
- 1975: Burmah-Shell Best Paper Prize by The Aeronautical Society of India. - National.
- 1979: Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Trust (UK) Scholarship by the Government of India. - National/
- 1993: European Commission (EC) Senior Faculty Exchange Fellowship by the
Government of India. – National/
- 1995: PARAM Second Prize award in the category of scientific & engineering applications
by the C-DAC Awards Committee for the work entitled Parallel Finite Element Based
Composite Analysis Package on PARAM. – National.
- 1999: Elected a Fellow of the Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE). - National.
- 2004: Elected a Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences (IASc). - National.
- 2007: IIT Bombay conferred the 2006 Professor HH Mathur Award for excellence in
research in applied sciences in recognition of his outstanding work in the area
of mechanics of composite materials and structures. - National.
- Elected a Fellow of the Indian National Science Academy (INSA). - National.
- 2009: Khosla National Award for his life time achievement in the field of
engineering by the Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee. - National.
- 2010: IIT Bombay research paper award. - National.
- 2011: Elected a Fellow of the National Academy of Sciences, India (NASI) - National.
- 2012: IIT Bombay conferred the 2011 Life Time Achievement Award. - National.
- 2013: ICCS17 (17th International Conference on Composite Structures, Porto, - International
Portugal, 17-21 June 2013) honoured and felicitated him by calling him
a legend and recognized him (along with Professors J. N. Redyy and
Romesh Batra) as a pioneer in initiating a new direction in mechanics
- 2013: Received APACM Senior Scientist Award of the Asia Pacific Association of - International
Computational Mechanics (APACM): awarded on 12 December 2013
during APCOM2013 in Singapore.
- 2015 ICCES15 (International Conference on Computational and Experimental - International
Engineering and Sciences) presented the Lifetime Achievement Medal Award
for making seminal contributions to composite materials and to the education
of generations of students in India in Reno, Nevada, USA on 23 July 2015.
INAE Section Affiliated To: Section I: Civil Engineering
Year of Election to Fellowship: 1999
Year of Birth: 1 July 1946