Professor Sundaravadivelu Ranganathan
Professor, Indian Institute of Technology Madras - Chennai 600 036
Areas of Interest:
Computer Aided Analysis, Design and Experimental Studies of Coastal and Offshore Structures.
Design of Coastal and Offshore Strucures
Design of Major Ports including all Coastal and Offshore structures.
Sector Associated With:
Sectors Interested to Offer Service:
Educational / Academic institutions, Industry (Private), Industry (PSUs), R&D Organizations, Government (including funding agencies), Entrepreneurs, Venture Capitalists, Law Enforcement Agencies, Consultancy Firms, Private Agencies, Individuals
Major Professional Contributions:
i. Post Doctoral Fellowship in Technical University Hamburg-Marburg 1990-1991
ii. NPTEL course on Port and harbour structures is under preparation.
iii. The retrofitting and rehabilitation of berthing structures after BHUJ
earthquake and Indian Ocean Tsunami, deepening of major ports, DPR for
private ports, shipyards and mega terminal at Chennai port are significant
contributions in port sector.
iv. Based on the environmental management plan implemented, the largest wet
land Chilika Lake has received the prestigious Ramseur award.
v. International projects are carried out in the wave basin on non-ship
shaped FPSO, Dry tree semisubmersible and mobile offshore base.
vi. Innovative designs of classic SPAR for offshore wind energy and JACKET
SPAR for offshore desalination have been developed.
vii. Repair of berths for government, navy and private ports
viii. Investigation on damage to berthing structures due to ship collision,
corrosion and other causes
ix. Deepening of berths at Chennai, Vizag and cochin ports
x. Design of ship lift at Jaigad, Maharashtra and review of shipyard design at Goa, Calcutta and L&T Chennai
xi. Proof checking of structural design of shore unloaders for NLC –NTPL –
2x500 MW.-Client: Neyveli Lignite Corporation Limited.
xii. Development of North cargo Berth for handling Bulk cargoes Stacker Cum
Reclaimer at V.O.Chidambaranar Port – Design, Build, finance, operate and
transfer basis – preparation of design and drawing.-Client: Tuticorin Coal
Terminal Private Limited.
- Employed in the Department of Ocean Engineering IIT Madras from Oct 1982.
- Oct 1982 – Mar 1990 - Senior scientific Officer
- Mar 1990 – May 1995 - Assistant Professor
- May 1995 – Sep 2000 - Associate Professor
- Sept 2000 to till date - Professor
- April – 2003 to June - 2006 - Chairman (chairman and Works committee)
- Sep - 2006 – Oct 2009 - Professor & Head
- Oct - 2009 – Till date - Chairman,Master Plan Committee.
Offshore structures, Ports, Pipe line, Sea Water intake, Coastal Zone Management.
Mobile +91 94443 89570
Landline +9144 22574810
- B.E.,Civil - annamalai University - 1977
- M. Tecch, IIT Madras - Strucures - First Class - 1979
- Ph.D.,- Ocean Engineering - IIT Madras-Stress concentration factor in tubular Joints - 1985
Awards and Major Professional Recognitions
- Best Paper award on 'Pile foundation' for the paper "Behavior of
Instrumented pile under vertical loading – A field Investigation" by
K. Muthukkumaran, R. Sundaravadivelu and S. R. Gandhi.
- Member, Advisory committee, Chilika development Authority, Bhubaneswar,
- Member, Bureau of Indian Standards – Ports, Harbours and Offshore
Installations Sectional Committee, CED 47
- Member, UPSC, Selection committee
- Member, Executive Council, Indian Maritime University
- Fellow of the Indian National Academy of Engineering
- Coordinate DAAD program for exchange of students from Germany to India
- Member, Organizing Committee, OMAE conference organized by ASME
INAE Section Affiliated I: Civil Engineering
Year of Election to Fellowship: 2006
Year of Birth: 1955