Dr. Sirshendu De
Areas of Interest:
Membrane separations, Application of mathematical methods and modeling for transport processes; Effluent treatment; Modeling of mass transfer in microchannel.
Membrane Separation; Mass Transfer; Mathematical Modeling
Preparation of tailor made hollow fiber and flat sheet membrane; CFD modeling of process industries; Effluent treatment.
Sector Associated With:
Sectors Interested to Offer Service:
Educational / Academic institutions, Industry (Private), Industry (PSUs), R&D Organizations, Government (including funding agencies), Entrepreneurs, Consultancy Firms
Major Professional Contributions:
1. Developed low cost laterite based arsenic filter.
2. Developed a low cost hollow fiber spinning unit.
3. Developed a low cost hemodialysis hollow fibers and cartridges thereof.
4. Developed technology for extraction of bioactive components from medicinally important plant extract.
5. Developed CFD modeling of magnesium production plant using electrothermal process in NML, Jamshedpur.
6. Developed state of the art Membrane Separation Laboratory.
7. Developed WEB and VIDEO courses on Novel Separation Processes and Advanced Mathematical Techniques in Chemical Engineering.
8. Faculty selection committee members of various IITs and NITs.
- Professor, April 12, 2007-Present: Department of Chemical Engineering, IIT Kharagpur
- Associate Professor, Jun. 25, 2002-April 12, 2007: Department of Chemical Engineering, IIT Kharagpur.
- Assistant Professor, 13 Feb., 1998-Jun. 25, 2002: Department of Chemical Engineering, IIT Kharagpur.
- Visiting Faculty, July 09, 1997- 13 Feb., 1998: Department of Chemical Engineering, IIT Kharagpur.
Membrane separation; hollow fibers; CFD modeling; Transport phenomena.
Department of Chemical Engineering
Kharagpur - 721302
- B. Tech. 1986-90:Department of Chemical Engg., IIT Kanpur. CPI: 8.2/10.0.
- M. Tech. 1991-92:Department of Chemical Engg., IIT Kanpur. CPI: 10.0/10.0.
- Ph.D. 1993-1997:Department of Chemical Engg., IIT Kanpur. CPI: 10.0/10.0.
Awards and Major Professional Recognitions
- INAE Chair-Professor 2015-2017 from Indian National Academy of Engineering, New Delhi.
- DST Lockheed-Martin top 10 award for the project "Development of low cost hemodialysis cartridge", 2015.
- 5 th National Award for Technology Innovation in various Field of Petrochemicals and Downstream Plastic Processing Industry from Central Institute of Plastic Engineering & Technology for "Development of low cost hemodialysis cartridges", 2015.
- CSMCRI Distinguished Speaker Award in CHEMCON 2013 from Indian Institution of Chemical Engineers.
- NASI-Reliance Industries Platinum Jubilee award, 2013, from National Academy of Science, Allahabad.
- Silver Jubilee Young Engineer Award, 2012 from Indian National Academy of Engineering, New Delhi
- DAE-SRC Outstanding Investigator Award, 2012 from Department of Atomic Energy, Govt. of India.
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize, 2011 for outstanding works in Science and Engineering, from CSIR, Govt. of India.
- Herdillia Award, for the year 2010 for Excellence in Basic Research in Chemical Engineering, from Indian Institution of Chemical Engineers, 2010.
- Dr. A. V. Rama Rao Foundation's award, for supervising best PhD thesis of Dr. Chandan Das from Indian Institution of Chemical Engineers, 2010.
- Best Reviewer Award for year 2010 from Desalination, Elsevier.
- V.N.M.M award, for the year 2009 for innovative and creative work in the field of engineering in India in any discipline, by IIT Roorkee.
- Dr. A. V. Rama Rao Foundation's award, for supervising best PhD thesis of Dr. M. K. Purkait from Indian Institution of Chemical Engineers, 2007.
- Sisir Kumar Mitra memorial award from Indian Institution of Chemical Engineers, 2003
- Young Engineer Award, Department of Science & Technology, 2001 (Fast Track Scheme)
- INAE Young Engineer award for the year 2001 for excellence in basic research by Indian National Academy of Engineering.
- Amar Dye Chem award for the year 2000 for excellence in basic research in Chemical Engineering by Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers.
- K. F. Antia memorial award from Institute of Engg. India, for 1994-95 for the article 'Analytical solution of transient heat conduction with variable thermal conductivity in a finite domain'. The award was received from the President of India on Dec. 20, 1995 at Jaipur, India.
- Adjunct Faculty, National Metallurgical Laboratories, Jamshedpur, 2014.
- Fellow, National Academy of Science, Allahabad, 2012.
- Fellow, Indian National Academy of Engineering, 2011.
- Award committee member for Young Scientist Award, CSIR, Govt. of India, 2013.
- Award committee member in Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers, 2012.
- "C. V. Seshadri Lecture, 2012", Department of Chemical Engineering, IIT Kanpur, 2012.
- "K. C. Khilar Memorial Lecture and Fellowship", Department of Chemical Engineering, IIT Bombay, 2012.
- "Shrimati Kusumben and Shri Mathradas Kothari Visiting Professorship in Chemical Engineering" in Institute of Chemical Technology (ICT), Mumbai for 2011.
- Member of Award Committee of Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers, 2012.
INAE Section Affiliated To : Section IV: Chemical Engineering
Year of Election to Fellowship: 2011
Year of Birth: 1967