Professor Sankar Kumar Pal
DAE Raja Ramanna Fellow, Distinguished Scientist and Formerly Director, Indian Statistical Institute
Areas of Interest:
Pattern Recognition, Image Processing, Soft Computing, Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery , Machine Intelligence, Bio-Informatics, Artificial General Intelligence, Big Data.
Pattern recognition, Image Analysis, Uncertainty Modelling, Granular Mining, Computational Intelligence, Fuzzy Logic, Neural Computation, Evolutionary Computation, Rough Computing, Neuro-fuzzy Computing, Fuzzy-rough Computing, Case Based Reasoning, Social Network Analysis, Web Intelligence, miRNA/Gene Expression Data Analysis, Video Tracking, Cognitive Machines, Computing with Words.
Will be added.
Sector Associated With:
Sectors Interested to Offer Service:
Educational / Academic institutions, Industry (PSUs), R&D Organizations, Government (including funding agencies), Consultancy Firms, Private Agencies
Major Professional Contributions:
Prof. S.K. Pal is a renowned Computer Scientist with international reputation on fuzzy neural network, soft computing, and machine intelligence. He founded the Machine Intelligence Unit in 1993, and the Center for Soft Computing Research: A National Facility in 2004, both at the ISI. He is the founder President of the Indian National Academy of Engineering, Kolkata Chapter.
Has 450 research papers, 17 books, 3 patents; Google Scholar h-index=68; visited 40 countries as keynote/invited speaker Editorial Board Member of 22 international journals including several IEEE Trans.
Established a research group on fuzzy logic and uncertainty analysis in the Software Technology Branch, NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX, U.S.A.
Initiated the biennial Int. Conf. "Patt. Recog. and Machine Intell." (PReMI) since 2005.
- Raja Ramanna Fellow of the Govt. of India from October 2015 to date.
- J. C. Bose National Fellow, 2007 to date.
- INAE Chair Professor, 2013-15.
- Distinguished Scientist, Indian Statistical Institute, 1998-2015.
- Director, Indian Statistical Institute, 2005-2010.
- Professor, Indian Statistical Institute, Calcutta, 1987-1998.
- Visiting Scientist, US Naval Research Lab., Washington DC, USA, 2004.
- Visiting Professor, Dept. of Computing, Hong Kong Poly University, Hong Kong, 1998.
- Guest Investigator, NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston, Texas, 1990-1992, & 1994.
- Fulbright Visiting Scientist, CS Division, University of California, Berkeley, and Center for Automation Research, University of Maryland, College Park, 1986-87.
- MRC Post Doc, Imperial College of Science and Technology, London 1981-83.
Pattern Recognition, Image/ Video Processing, Machine Intelligence, Data Mining, Soft Computing, Granular Mining, Bioinformatics, Social Networks, Big Data.
DAE Raja Ramanna Fellow,
Distinguished Scientist and formerly Director
Center for Soft Computing Research,
Indian Statistical Institute
203, B. T. Road, Kolkata - 700 1008.
Tel: Off: 033-25752041;
Fax : 033-25788699
- B.Sc.(Physics Hons)/ 1969/ Calcutta University
- B.Tech./ 1972/ Radio Physics and Electronics/ Calcutta University
- M.Tech./ 1974/ Radio Physics and Electronics/ Calcutta University
- Ph.D./ 1978-79/ Radio Physics and Electronics/ Calcutta University (worked at ISI, Calcutta as its Research Fellow)
- Ph.D. and DIC/ 1982/ Electrical Engg./ Imperial College, London
Awards and Major Professional Recognitions
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize (Engg. Sci.), 1990
- Jawaharlal Nehru Fellowship, 1993
- Vikram Sarabhai Research Award, 1993
- NASA Space Act Tech Brief Award, 1993
- IEEE Neural Networks Council (USA) Outstanding Paper Award, 1994
- Distinguished Speaker, IEEE Comp. Soc., 1997
- IETE - R.L. Wadhwa Gold Medal, 1997
- O.P. Bhasin Award, 1998
- Distinguished Scientist, ISI, 1998
- G.D. Birla Award, 1999
- Khwarizmi International Award (1st winner) from the President of Iran, 2000
- INSA - S.H. Zaheer Medal, 2001
- FICCI Award (Engg. and Technology), 2001
- P.C. Mahalanobis Birth Centenary Gold Medal from the Prime Minister of India at the Indian Science Congress, 2006
- J.C. Bose National Fellowship, 2007-17
- Padma Shri (Sci. & Engg.), Govt. of India, 2013
- INAE Chair Professor, 2013-15
- IETE Diamond Jubilee Medal, 2013
- IEEE Fellow Class Golden Jubilee Medal, 2014
- INAE - S.N. Mitra Award, 2015
- Raja Ramanna Fellowship, DAE, Govt. of India, 2015
- Fellow, The World Academy of Sciences (FTWAS), Italy
- Fellow, IEEE (FIEEE), USA
- Fellow, Int. Asso. for Pattern Recog. (FIAPR), USA
- Fellow, Int. Fuzzy Systems Asso. (FIFSA), USA
- Fellow of all National Academies in India: INSA-FNA, IASc-FASc, NASI-FNASc, INAE-FNAE
- NRC-NASA (USA) Sr. Research Associate, 1989
- Fulbright Post-Doc. Fellowship, 1986
- Commonwealth Scholarship, 1979
INAE Section Affiliated To : Section II: Computer Engineering and Information Technology
Year of Election to Fellowship: 1995
Year of Birth: 1950