Professor SADAGOPAN NARAYANAN
Emeritus Professor, INDIAN INSTITUTE OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY DESIGN AND MANUFACTURING(IIITDM), KANCHEEPURAM,CHENNAI-600127
Areas of Interest:
Machine Design, Kinematics and Dynamics, Vibration, Acoustics, Aerospace Structures.
Vibration and Vibration Control, Nonlinear Dynamical Systems, Random Vibration and Stochastic Dynamics, Acoustics and Noise COntrol, Smart Structures
Vibration and Acoustic Testing, Noise and Vibration Control, Optimization in Design.
Sector Associated With:
Sectors Interested to Offer Service:
Educational / Academic institutions, Industry (Private), Industry (PSUs), R&D Organizations, Government (including funding agencies), Individuals
Major Professional Contributions:
Taught for more than 40 years in IIT Madras and IIT Kanpur, B.Tech, Masters and Ph.D students.
Guided 24 Ph.D,100 M.Tech, 16 MS students in their theses and number of B.Tech students in projects.
Published 120 journal and 150 conference papers, authored a book on Random Vibrations and Edited 3 conference proceedings
In Editorial board of International and National Journals.
Dean, Academic Research, IIT Madras
Have carried out number of sponsored projects for ISRO, ARDB and consultancy projects in vibration and noise testing and control.
Coordinated and lectured in a number of continuing education programmes.
Organized a number of national and international conferences and member of Steering and Scientific Committees
Had been President of Acoustical society of India, President Chennai Chapter of Aeronautical Society of India
Convener Section III, Member of Selection Committee of Young Engineer, Innovative Student Potential Award, Forum on Engineering Education and Member Steering Committee of INAE and have contributed in each capacity.
Member, Board of Governors, IIITDM, Academic Council of many Institutes , Committee on Nonlinear Oscillations of IFToMM, Member,Board of Structural Control. Expert Member of Review Committee of Aerospace Engineering Department, IIT Kanpur.
Member, Programme Advisory Committee, Mechanical Engineering,SERB,DST .
- Research Associate, Department of Aeronautical Engineering, IIT Kanpur, 1973-75
- Lecturer, Department of Applied Mechanics, IIT Madras,1975-78
- Assistant Professor, Department of Aeronautical Engineering, IIT Kanpur, 1978-80
- Assistant Professor , Department of Applied Mechanics, IIT Madras, 1980-89,
- Professor, Depts. Of Applied Mechanics, Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, IIT Madras 1989-2010,
- Dean Academic Research, IIT Madras, 2000-2006
- Emeritus Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Madras, 2010-15
- Emeritus Professor, IIITDM, Kancheepuram, 2010.
Vibration, Random Vibration, Vibration Control, Acoustics, Noise Control,Nonlinear Dynamics, Academic Reserach, Engineering Education..
Emeritus Professor, IIITDM, Kancheepuram, Melakottaiyur, Chennai-600127
H109/2, 7th avenue,Besant Nagar, Chennai-600090, Ph: +914443586668 Mobile: 9444394291
- B.E(Mechanical), Madras University( College:GCT,Coimbatore) 1967.
- M.Tech(Aeronautical), IIT Kanpur, 1970.
- Ph.D(Aeronautical),IIT Kanpur,1975
Awards and Major Professional Recognitions
- Alexander Von Humboldt Post Doctoral Fellowship at the Institute for Technical Acoustics, Technical University Berlin, (1984-85).
- Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Best Paper Award, 51st AGM,Aeronautical Society of India(2000).
- Dr. S. Bhagavantham award of the Acoustical Society of India in 2003 for his contributions and leadership in the area of Acoustics for the years 2001-2002.
- M.S. Narayanan Memorial Lecture Award, Acoustical society of India(2007).
- Silver Medal, Madras Regional chapter of the Acoustical Society of America for contributions in Structural Acoustics.
- Elected Fellow (FNAE),Indian National Academy of Engineering,(INAE)(1997)
7.Fellow of the Acoustical Society of India.(FASI)
Joint Secretary,Secretary, Vice President and President, Acoustical Society of India
- Fellow of the Aeronautical Society of India(FAeSI)Vice President and President , Madras Chapter, AeronauticalSociety of India.
INAE Section Affiliated III: Mechanical Engineering
Year of Election to Fellowship: 1997
Year of Birth: 1945