Professor S. Mohan
Professor in Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai - 600036
Areas of Interest:
• Environmental Engineering:
Water Quality Modeling, Air Quality Modeling, Solid Waste Management, Environmental Systems Analysis, City Water Planning and Analysis, Environmental Impact Assessment
• Water Resources Management:
Reservoir Operation, Multi-objective Analysis, Flood and Drought Management; Sustainable development, Climate Change and its Adaptation, Evolutionary Algorithms and their Applications
• Groundwater Assessment and Management
Multi Aquifer Modeling, Artificial Recharge Studies, Contaminant Transport Modeling, Regional Groundwater Modeling.
Environmental and Water Resources Engineering
Water and wastewater Treatment, Environmental Impact Assessment, Surfacewater and Groundwater Modeling, Smartcity Design, Flood Modeling .
Sector Associated With:
Sectors Interested to Offer Service:
Educational / Academic institutions, Industry (Private), Industry (PSUs), R&D Organizations, Government (including funding agencies), Entrepreneurs, Venture Capitalists, Law Enforcement Agencies, Consultancy Firms, Private Agencies, Individuals
Major Professional Contributions:
Guided 20 Ph.Ds in the area of Environmental and Water Resources Engineering; carried out almost 200 consultancy projects for various agencies. Participated in various national committees dealing with Environment, Water Resources, Climate Change, and Infrastructures.
- Professor, Dept. of Civil Engg., Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, (Sept. 2000 onwards)
(Scale of Pay: Higher Administrative Grade (HAG); Basic pay of Rs.79000 in the pay scale of Rs. 67000-79000, with effect from June 2009 onwards
- Director, National Institute of Technical Teachers Training and Research, Chennai (May 2009 – October 2014)
- Director (Addl. Charge), Central Institute of Classical Tamil, Chennai (May 2009 – Nov. 2011)
- Head, Dept. of Civil Engg., Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, (2004 – 2008)
- Associate Professor, Dept. of Civil Engg., Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, (1996 to 2000).
- Assistant Professor, Dept. of Civil Engg., Indian Inst. of Technology, Madras. (1991 - 1995).
- Lecturer, Dept. of Civil Engg., Indian Institute of Technology, Madras (1987 - 1990)
Environmental Engineering; Industrial Wastewater Treatment, Clean Development Mechanisms, Irrigation, Optimization and Simulation Models.
Department of Civil Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology Madras
Chennai – 600 036
Phone : Cell : 94448 - 37600
Office : 91-44 -2257 4261
Residence : 91-44 -22576261
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India 560 012. Ph.D. (Water Engg.), 1987
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India 560012. M.E. (Distn.), (Civil Engg.), 1983
- Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai, India 625 021. B.E. (Distn.), (Civil Engg.), 1981
(Third Rank at University Level)
- Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA Post Doctoral research
Awards and Major Professional Recognitions
- Awarded the John Penny Cuick Eminent Engineer Award for the notable contributions in the field of Water Resources by Association of Consulting Civil Engineers (India), Madurai Centre on 14th October 2014.
- Awarded the Rekha Nandi and Bhupesh Nandi Medal by Institution of Engineers (India) for the paper "Modeling of Pollutant Transport in Groundwater", published in the Jl. of Institution of Engineers (India), Environmental Engineering Division during the year 2005.
- Awarded the Surendernath Mukherjee Memorial Medal by Institution of Engineers (India) for the paper "Crop water Requirements in Command Area – A Comparative Analysis", published in the Jl. of Institution of Engineers (India) during the year 1999.
- Best paper award from Indian Water Works Association for the paper "Computer Aided Process Design of Reverse Osmosis Plant" for the year 1997.
- Awarded "Young Engineer" for notable contribution in the field of water resources by the Central Board of Irrigation and Power, Government of India in April 1993.
INAE Section Affiliated I: Civil Engineering
Year of Election to Fellowship: 2006
Year of Birth: 1959