Professor PREM VRAT
Pro-Chancellor; Professor of Eminence and Chief Mentor, THE NORTHCAP UNIVERSITY, Gurgaon
Areas of Interest:
1.Industrial Engineering & Operations Research
2. Supply Chain Management (SCM)
3.Total Quality Management (TQM)
4.Systems Dynamics Modelling
Industrial & Systems Engg; Quality, Supply Chain Management; Value Engineering.
1.Systems Studies/Modelling Simulation 2.Project Management 3.Quality Engineering & Management 4.Productivity Enhancement Studies 5.Logistics & Supply Chain 6.Materials Management & Operataions Management 7.Value Engineering for Product Design/Cost reduction 8.TQM 9. Manufacturing Excellence 10. Competitiveness Enhancement..
Sector Associated With:
Sectors Interested to Offer Service:
Major Professional Contributions:
Guided 39 Ph. D Thesis, 118 M.Tech, 65 B. Tech, 445 Research papers and articals with 4500 citations (google scholars) and g-index of 65, 33 Major Consultancies, 13 best paper awards/medals/prizes 7 books, 47 years of teaching research & consultancies experience delivered lecture in more than 450 MDP's/FDP, Member of Editorial Board of many journals; Board of Director; Air India, Director; IIT Roorkee, Director In-Charge IIT Delhi, Prof. and Division Chairman, AIT Bangkok, Vice-Chancellor; UPTU, Lucknow..
- Professor, IIT, Delhi
- Director, IT, Roorkee
- Vice-Chancellor, UPTU, Lucknow
- Prof. & Division Chairman, AIT, Bangkok
- Vice-Chancellor; Professor of Eminence, ITM University, Gurgaon.
Teaching, Research, Consultancy, Industrial Engineering, Operations Research, TQM, Project Management, Value Engineering, Productivity Measurement, Supply Chain Management, Materials Management, Cost Reduction, Manufacturing Excellence..
Office: THE NORTHCAP UNIVERSITY, Huda Sector: 23A, Gurgaon-122017
Home: 1240, Sector: A, Pocket: A, Vasant Kunj, New Delhi-110070
- Post doctoral research, 1975-76, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, U.K and was conferred Honorary Research Fellow status by the University.
- Ph.D. in Industrial Engineering & Operations Research, 1974, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi.
- M.Tech in Industrial Engineering & Operations Research, 1968, Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur.
- B.Tech (Honours) in Mechanical Engineering, 1966, Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur.
Awards and Major Professional Recognitions
- Won the best case - study medal of IIIE in the year 1977 for the best case - study published in the Industrial Engineering Journal.
- Won medal of the IIIE in the year 1980 for the best case - study published in the Industrial Engineering Journal.
- Won the best paper medals in the Industrial Engineering Journal in the year 1984 and in 1987.
- Was conferred the Fellowship award of IIIE in 1985 for outstanding contribution to the profession and the Institution.
- Won first prize of Rs.10,000/= and certificate of excellence in a paper contest, December 1988, organised by Ministry of Petroleum and ONGC.
- Received Lillian Gilbreth Award in 1993 for outstanding contribution to the profession of Industrial Engineering and Productivity in India.
- Awarded Dr. C.M. Jacob gold Medal of the System Society of India for outstanding contribution to System Modelling and Management.
- Elected, Fellow of National Academy of Sciences, India 1994.
- Won Sri Ram Award for best paper published in FAI Journal, 1997.
- Elected, Fellow of World Academy of productivity Science, 1997.
- Won DMA-Escort commendation prize, 1998 for his book "Productivity Management: A Systems Approach" published by Narosa.
- Nominated to Various Honours by American Biographers Institute, USA and International Biographical Centre, U.K.
- Won best case study medal of IIIE for paper published in Industrial Engineering Journal in 1998-99.
- "American Order of Excellence" for the accomplishments in Engineering Education & Research by American Biographical Institute, USA.
- Honorary Fellowship of ISTE, 2001.
- Distinguished Engineer's Award; Institution of Engineers (India) Roorkee on Engineers Day 15th September 2002.
- Outstanding Contribution Award for National Development by IIT Delhi Alumni Association for 2002-2003 in April 2003
- Distinguished Alumnus Award for 2004 by IIT Kharagpur at the Golden Jubilee convocation.
- Life Time Achievement Award by World Institution Building Program (WIBP) at Knowledge Summit 2004
- Conferred, Centenarian Seva Ratna Award, 2005
- Distinguished Mechanical Engineering Educator Award, ISME, India, 2005
- Conferred, Doctor of Engineering (Honorary Causa) by Bundel Khand University and delivered Convocation Address, Jhansi, 2006.
- Conferred Uttaranchal Ratan Award on 17th April 2006.
- Indian Institution of Industrial Engineering conferred on him its highest recognition Honorary Membership on 12th October 2007.
- Conferred National Ishan Award for Excellence in 2007.
- Life Time Achievement Award from International Association of Educators for World Peace in 2007.
- Conferred the 3rd Dr. J.C.Bose National Excellence Award for outstanding work in Engg and Technical Education, by IES,Bhopal,16th Dec.2009.
- Received BEST PAPER AWARD, at the 53rd National Convention of "Indian Institution of Industrial Engineering", held on December 16, 2011, comprising of a Citation & a Medal for his Article entitled "A study on increasing competitiveness of unorganized retails in India", published in December 2010 issue of Industrial Engineering Journal.
- Prof. Prem Vrat's Research Paper entitled "Bio-immune systems analogy for effective managerial decision making in conflicting environment" published in Journal of Advances in Management Research Volume: 8 Issue: 2 – 2011, pp.236-245 has been chosen as a Highly Commended Award Winner at the Literati Network Awards for Excellence 2012.
- Received Best Paper Award for IIIE – Industrial Engineering Journal – "Inventory Model and human body food supply chain: Some managerial insights", published in Vol.II, Issue No. 27, September 2011, Pg.08-16.
- Honoured with Education Leadership Award 2012 at a Seminar conducted by Knowledge Resource Development & Welfare Group (KRDWG) on the theme 'Existing framework of technical & professional education from the perspective of Industry: Expectations and Challenges' on May 24, 2012 at IIT Delhi.
- Prof. Prem Vrat was felicitated in the inaugural session of XVI International Conference of Society of Operations Management (SOM) held at IIT Delhi on 22nd December, 2012 with the "Life Time Achievement Award in Operations Management" by Department of Management, IIT Delhi, the host of the conference.
- Prof. Prem Vrat was felicitated in the 18th International Conference of Society of Operations Management (SOM) held at IIT Roorkee on 13th December, 2014 with the "Life Time Achievement Award in Operations Management" by Department of Management, IIT Roorkee, the host of the conference.
- SAE India Foundation bestowed on him the 'Guru' Award for his outstanding contributions.
INAE Section Affiliated III: Mechanical Engineering
Year of Election to Fellowship: 2006
Year of Birth: 1944