Professor PRASANTA K. MISHRA
Visiting Professor, IIT Bhubaneswar
Areas of Interest:
Non Traditional Manufacturing, Special purpose machine design and development, MEMS & Micro Systems Technology .
Mechanical, Manufacturing Science
Difficult Manufacturing Problems .
Sector Associated With:
Sectors Interested to Offer Service:
Major Professional Contributions:
After graduating in Mechanical Engineering at the Regional Engineering College (presently NIT), Rourkela in 1966, he joined the same university as a lecturer. He moved to Jadavpur University, Calcutta in 1967, and post-graduated in machine tools and production engineering (MME) in 1969. He completed his PhD in Engg (Spark-erosion) in 1973, and became a Reader in 1976. At the University of Birmingham in UK, he worked on Infrared Laser systems as a Commonwealth Academic Staff Fellow (1978-79). After joining the Department of Mechanical Engineering at IIT Kharagpur in 1982, he became a Professor in the year 1987.
He established the Nonconventional Machining Laboratory at Jadavpur University, Kolkata with machines developed in-house: EDM, USM, ECM, ECT. At IIT Kharagpur, he has also successfully developed three laboratories; EPP, Laser Processing, and Rapid Prototyping, by designing and retrofitting more than thirty machines on USM, ECM, Electroforming, Impulse Welder, Electro-jet, Lasers, ECD-FDM etc. He has guided 12 PhDs, 63 Masters and 83 BTech theses, published more than 100 papers at National and International levels. He has developed more than 36 machines to equip his labs and Industries. He is having three patents to his credit. His book on "Nonconventional Machining", and three monograms, "New Technology" for IE (I), "EDMing Technology" for TELCO, and "Chemical & Electrochemical Processing" for Bajaj Auto have been well received.
He is a member of ASME, a Fellow of Inst of Engineers, and a Fellow of National Academy of Engineering (FNAE). He was also a member of Indo-Japan and Indo-US joint-collaborative program on Advanced Manufacturing (Micro Manufacturing) from 1998-2005 and 2004-06 respectively. He was also a Senior Visiting Scientist to Masuzawa Lab of IIS, University of Tokyo, Japan. He was an advisor to Mechanical Engineering Department of College of Engineering, Pune (2005-07).
He is awarded with the Best Aluminous Award by REC (NIT) Rourkela, 1981 and Achievement Award by Production Engineering Division of The Institution of Engineers, India in 2006. His main interest is to develop new processes and propagate the knowledge of micro systems technology in India.
On voluntary retirement from IIT Kharagpur, he has joined as an Emeritus Professor in Mechanical Engineering, College of Engineering, Pune since August 2007 and has developed three more innovative Micro-machine through his UG students. Joined IIT Bhubaneswar in 2012 as Emeritus Professor in the School of Mechanical Sciences and presently in the post of a Visiting Professor. During the period of last 4 years developed two more machines, i.e. Fiber Laser based micromanufacturing work-station and a micro electroforming machine for developing bio-implants. Trying to establish an advanced manufacturing Laboratory for innovation and training. .
- Lecturer, Dept of Mechanical Engg.; REC, Rourkela, Orissa,India (1966 to 1967)
- RS/Lecturer/Reader Dept. of Mechanical Engg, Jadavpur University, Calcutta, India 1967 to 1969/1969 to 1976/1976 to 1982
- Commonwealth Academic Staff, Dept. of Mechanical Engg., University of Birmingham, UK; 1977 to 1978
- Asst. Professor, Mech. Engg.,Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India
1982 to 1987
- Professor, Mechanical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India, 1987 to July 2007
- Emeritus Professor, Mechanical Engineering, College of Engineering Pune (CoEP),2007-2012.
- Emeritus Professor, School of Mechanical Sciences, IIT Bhubaneswar, 2012-2015.
- Visiting Professor, School of Mechanical Sciences, IIT Bhubaneswar, 2015- cont.
- Advisor, Mech Engg, College of July 2005 to June 2006
Engg, Pune (On sabbatical leave from IIT Kharagpur)
- Asst. Professor 1982 to 1987 Indian Institute of Technology
EDM; WEDM; AJM; USM; ECM, CHM, ELECTROJET; MICRO ELECTROFORMING; MICRO MACHINES; LASER MATERIAL PROCESSING .
Visiting Professor, School of Mechanical Sciences, IIT Bhubaneswar, Bhubaneswar-751013.
Appt. 5/201, CLUB TOWN, Chandrasekharpur, Bhubaneswar-721024.
- B.Sc.Engg. 1966 REC, Rourkela (Mechnical), Utkal University, Orissa
- M.M.E 1969 Jadavpur University, Calcutta (Machine Tools & Prod. Engg.)
- Ph.D. (Engg.) 1974 -do- (Spark Erosion Machining)
Awards and Major Professional Recognitions
- One of the three Distinction Award Holders from Regional Engg. College, Rourkela, India, 1966.
- Commonwealth Academic Staff Fellowship award to do research in Laser Processing at the Univ. of B'ham, UK, 1978.
- Best Alumnus Award for contribution to Science & Technology by REC, Rourkela, 1980.
- One of the two members nominated from India to participate in the Seminar on Design of Dies & Moulds, organised by IPO, Japan at Hong Kong, 1975
- One of the six-member team for India-Japan Joint Collaboration on Advanced Manufacturing Science in the group for Manufacturing Science Advanced Materials and Composites, since 1999.
- Elected Fellow of Indian National Academy of Engineering (a prestigious body of the country with limited members)
- A member of Indo-Japan joint-collaborative program on Advanced Manufacturing (Micromanufacturing) from 1998-2005.
- Indo-US Joint Forum on Science & Technology (Futuristic Manufacturing) 2004-2006.
- Achievement Award by Production Engr. Division of Institution of Engrs.(I) at the 21st NCPE, Ranchi, Dec 2006.
- Life-Time achievement award, Dec 2012 - AIMTDR Conference,Jadavpur University, Kolkata.
INAE Section Affiliated III: Mechanical Engineering
Year of Election to Fellowship: 1999
Year of Birth: 10 July 1945