Professor Nagesh R. Iyer
Distinguished Emeritus Professor, Academy of Scientific & Innovative Research (AcSIR)
Areas of Interest:
Structural engineering analysis & design of large & complex structures, Software development, Intelligent design, Fatigue & Fracture, Life Estimation, Performance evaluation & condition assessment of structures, Concrete technology, Structural health monitoring & assessment, NDTE, Sustainable materials of construction, Structure-interaction problems, Energy efficient structures, Precast construction, Disaster mitigation, Waste & recycled aggregates, Renewable energy, Guidelines/standards for BIS, Technical education
Structural Engineering, Advanced methods of Engineering & Computational Mechanics including FEM/XFEM
Analysis, Design, Repair/retrofitting, Structural strength & stability, Problems associated with structural engineering
Sector Associated With:
Sectors Interested to Offer Service:
Educational / Academic institutions, Industry (Private), Industry (PSUs), R&D Organizations, Government (including funding agencies), Entrepreneurs, Law Enforcement Agencies, Consultancy Firms, Private Agencies
Major Professional Contributions:
Has over 38 years of experience in the field of computer-aided analysis and design of complex and large structures that include power plant structures, flyovers, bridges, natural draught RCC hyperboloid cooling towers, offshore & ship structures, critical components of Aerospace Structures, etc. The major field of research has been Computational Structural Mechanics and Performance Evaluation/Condition Monitoring of Structures with strong bias towards efficient Structural Design. Known for his contributions in the area of Fatigue, Fracture Mechanics, Damage Mechanics, Damage Tolerance and Methods of Life Extension of structural components and performance evaluation & condition monitoring of structures, Innovative sustainable and/or new engineered materials and novel methodologies for retrofitting, Structure-Interaction studies; etc. He has made critical contributions to the above emerging areas of international importance. He is placed in the topmost layer of the scientists in the field of Computational Mechanics.
At the CSIR-Structural Engineering Research Centre (SERC): Joined February 1977.
- Scientist from 1980 to 2001.
- Scientist G/Chief Scientist Oct 2001 Feb.09.
- Acting Director & Scientist G Dec ’08 Feb. ‘09.
- Director Feb. 09 – Nov. 2014.
Concurrent Positions with Director, CSIR-SERC.
Coordinating Director, CSIR Madras Complex Feb. 09 to Nov 2014.
Director, Engineering Coordination 31st August 2009 to July 2014.
Acting Director, AcSIR September 2013.
- Current Assignment: Distinguished Emeritus Professor, at the Academy of Scientific & Innovative Research (AcSIR),
December 2014 onwards:
- Guiding doctoral students, working/participating in R&D programs, as Faculty to CSIR-SERC programs.
- some of the responsibilities of Acting Director, AcSIR delegated being carried out.
Structures, Infrastructure, Analysis, Design, Mechanics, Retrofitting, Health monitoring, Performance, Fatigue-fracture,.
Prof. Nagesh R. Iyer
M32-33, Sree Mahalakshmi, Block-2, 4-E, Thiruvalluvar Salai, Thiruvanmiyur, Chennai-600041
Training & Development Complex, CSIR Campus, CSIR Road, Taramani, Chennai-600113
Phone: +91-44-22544802 (O) +91-44-24420701 (R) +91-9444953701 (M)
- B.E. [M. S. University of Baroda] 1974.
- M.E. (Structures) [Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore] 1976.
- PhD [Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore] 1994.
Awards and Major Professional Recognitions
- Elected Fellow of a) Indian Association of Computational Mechanics b) Indian Association of Structural Engineers. Fellow of Institution of Engineers (India). UN Fellow under the UNDP program on Wind Disaster Mitigation at University of California, Berkeley; Cornell University, University of Wales & TU, Delft (Jan 1994 to June 1994).
- Member, SERB, Dept. of Science & Technology (2015 onwards).
- Member, Editorial Board, Indian Journal of Engineering & Materials Sciences (2009 onwards).
- Awarded Medal for IBC Best Paper entitled “Innovative Construction Materials for Sustainable Development based on Biomimetics” (2011).
- Dr. M. Ramaiah Endowment Award, Indian Concrete Institute (2013); Ramasamy Reddy Endowment Award, Highways Research Station, Govt. of Tamilnadu (2011).
- Outstanding Achievement Award, CSIR Transformation Initiatives & ERP (2013).
- Awarded the Aerospace Engineering Division Gold Medal from the Institution of Engineers (I) for the paper on "Analysis for ship-water interaction effects" (1995).
- CSIR Technology Prize for Engineering Technology for pioneering contributions and leadership in the development of advanced computational methodologies, modelling techniques and software for analysis and design of complex structures, that are nationally and internationally recognized (2001).
- Chairman, Program Monitoring Committee (PMC), US-India Joint Centre for Building Energy Research and Development (CBERD), Indo-US Science & Technology Forum (IUSSTF) (2013 onwards).
- Chairman, BIS-National Building Code 2015.
- CED 46 (P4) Loads, Forces & Effects (2015-2016).
- Chairman, Standing Committee for engagement of Consultants, National Institute of Wind Energy (NIWE), MNRE, (2015-2018).
- Chairman, Project Monitoring Committee for Building Energy Efficiency, Indo-US Joint Clean Energy Research & Development Center, IUSSTF (2013-2018).
- Member, Research Advisory Council, ATIRA (Ahmedabad Textile Industry’s Research Association, Min. of Textiles, GoI (2015, 2016); Chairman, Performance Appraisal Board/Peer Review Committee, Centre for Wind Energy Technology now, National Institute of Wind Energy (NIWE), MNRE (2014-15).
- Consultant (Indian Side), Incubation Centre, ATIRA, Ahmedabad, (2015-16).
INAE Section Affiliated To: Section I: Civil Engineering
Year of Election to Fellowship: 2008
Year of Birth: 6 November 1952