Dr. Mahipal Reddy Benjaram
Chief Scientist and Head, Inorganic & Physical Chemistry Division; Professor, Academy of Scientific & Innovative Research (AcSIR), CSIR-Indian Institute of Chemical Technology, Hyderabad
Areas of Interest:
Materials Chemistry and Engineering; Nanomaterials and Nanotechnology; Chemical Process Design and Development; Clean and Green Processes; Nanotechnology Commercialization; Solar Thermochemical Production of Fuels; Utilization of Greenhouse Gases .
Catalyst design and development for auto exhaust purification, fine and specialty chemicals synthesis, mercury and NOx pollution abatement, and utilization of greenhouse gases; Materials synthesis and characterization by state-of-the-art techniques
Educational/Academic Institutions; R&D Organizations; Industry (Government and Private); Consultancy Firms.
Sector Associated With:
Sectors Interested to Offer Service:
Educational / Academic institutions, Industry (Private), Industry (PSUs), R&D Organizations, Government (including funding agencies), Consultancy Firms, Individuals
Major Professional Contributions:
• Dr. Reddy has contributed significantly to both basic and applied science knowledge related to materials science, heterogeneous catalysis, reaction engineering, and process technology.
• Design and development of a novel preparation methodology to make nano-sized metals and metal oxides for different applications.
• Development of energy efficient and eco-friendly nano-sized solid super-acids for organic syntheses and transformation reactions of pharmaceutical significance.
• Design and development of novel catalysts and process technology for oxidative dehydrogenation of ethylbenzene to styrene utilizing carbon dioxide as a soft oxidant.
• Commercialization of novel catalysts for ammoxidation of 2-methylpyrazine to 2-cyanopyraize (anti-TB drug intermediate), hydrogenolysis of bioglycerol to value-added products, and vapour phase conversion of phenol and methanol to anisole.
• Dr. Reddy is the author of over 270 publications in high-impact international journals and inventor of 8 national/international patents, guided 30 PhD degrees, supervised 45 M Tech/M Sc/B Tech dissertations, and delivered over 40 invited lectures. He has over 7000 citations with 42 h-index, which reflects the significance of his work.
- Chief Scientist & Head, Inorganic and Physical Chemistry Division, CSIR-IICT (Since November, 2009)
- Senior Principal Scientist, Principal Scientist and Senior Scientist, CSIR-IICT (1984-2009)
- Council Member, International Association of Catalysis Societies (IACS): 2008 –
- Honorary Treasurer, the Telangana State Academy of Sciences: 2015 – 2017
- Honorary Secretary, Catalysis Society of India (CSI): 2013 – 2015
- Honorary Treasurer, Catalysis Society of India (CSI): 2010 – 2012
- Honorary Secretary, Catalysis Society of India (CSI): 2006 – 2010
Catalysis; Chemical Engineering; Green Processes; Nanomaterials; Nanotechnology; Fine Chemicals; Materials Characterization.
CSIR-Indian Institute of Chemical Technology
Uppal Road, Hyderabad - 500 007, Telangana State, India
Tel (O): 040-27193510; Tel (R): 040-27175406
- Bachelor of Science (B Sc), Osmania University, Hyderabad (1979)
- Master of Science (M Sc), Kakatiya University, Warangal (1981)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph D), CSIR-IICT/Osmania University, Hyderabad (1986)
- Research Associate, SUNY Buffalo, New York (1993/94), and Texas A&M University, College Station, USA (1994/95)
- Visiting Scientist/Fellow, Russia (1986), Germany (1988 and 1998), Japan (2001) France (2001 and 2003), South Korea (2007/08), Switzerland (2012 and 2014), and Australia (2013)
Awards and Major Professional Recognitions
- CSIR Young Scientist Award in Chemical Sciences, CSIR, New Delhi, 1990
- CSI Young Scientist Award, Catalysis Society of India (CSI), IIT-Madras, 1993
- Associate Visiting Fellowship, Third World Academy of Sciences (TWAS), Trieste, Italy, 1998
- Senior DAAD Fellowship, Institute of Physical Chemistry, LMU-Munich, Germany, 1998
- Sir C V Raman Research Fellowship, CSIR, New Delhi, 2001
- JSPS Visiting Scientist, AIST, Osaka, Japan, 2001
- CNRS Visiting Scientist, Institut de Recherches sur la Catalyse (IRC), Lyon, France, 2001
- DAAD Visiting Scientist, Ruhr Universität Bochum, Bochum, Germany, 2012.
- SER Visiting Scientist, Paul Scherrer Institute, Villigen, Switzerland, 2013
- RMIT Foundation International Visiting Fellowship, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia, December 1-7, 2013
- Best Scientist Award - 2013, Sci-Tech Foundation, December 27, 2013
- Bronze Medal, Chemical Research Society of India (CRSI), August 2015
- Elected Fellow, the National Academy of Sciences, India (FNASc)
- Elected Fellow, the Indian National Academy of Engineering (FNAE)
- Fellow, The Royal Society of Chemistry London (FRSC)
- Elected Fellow, the Telangana State Academy of Sciences (FTAS)
- Founder Fellow, the Andhra Pradesh Academy of Sciences, (FAPAS)
- Elected Associate Fellow, Andhra Pradesh Academy of Sciences, 1992
- Guest Editor, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research (ACS)
- Guest Editor, Catalysis Today (Elsevier)
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of CO2 Utilization (Elsevier)
- Editorial Board Member, Applied Petrochemical Research (Springer)
- Review Editor, Frontiers in Chemistry (EPFL, Switzerland)
- Regional Editor, Current Catalysis (Bentham Science)
- Editorial Board Member, Current Nanomaterials (Bentham Science)
- Editorial Board Member, Current Physical Chemistry (Bentham Science)
- Editorial Board Member, Advances in Physical Chemistry (Hindawi Publishing Corporation)
- Editorial Board Member, Recent Patents on Materials Science (Bentham Science)
- Regional Editor, Advances in Natural and Applied Sciences (AENSI Publisher)
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Nanotechnology (Hindawi Publishing Corporation)
- Editorial Board Member, Indian Journal of Science and Technology
- Editorial Board member, Bulletin of the Catalysis Society of India
INAE Section Affiliated To: Section IV: Chemical Engineering
Year of Election to Fellowship: 2012
Year of Birth: 1957