Professor M. L. Munjal
INSA Senior Scientist, Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru
Areas of Interest:
Industrial and Automotive Noise Control .
Automotive Noise Control, Inustrial Noise Control, Mufflers and Silencers.
Sector Associated With:
Sectors Interested to Offer Service:
Educational / Academic institutions, Industry (Private), Industry (PSUs), R&D Organizations, Government (including funding agencies)
Major Professional Contributions:
Served on the faculty of the Indian Institute of Science for 42 Yrs (1968-2010) and Honorary Professor for 5 Yrs (2010-2015);
Published 193 Papers in technical/scientific journals;
Presented 130 papers in symposium/conference proceedings;
Wrote 3 books published by John Wiley (UK/USA) and World Scientific (Singapore);
Carried out more than 100 consultancy projects;
Convener, Facility for Research in Technical Acoustics (FRITA) (1998-2014);
Sabbatical visits to Technical Univ. Berlin (1979-1980), Univ. of Calagary (1986-1987), Nelson Industries, USA (1987), Ford Motor Company, USA (1994-1995);
Guided 16 Ph.D students; 7 M.Sc. Engg. students, and over 60 M.E. Dissertation projects;
Have been teaching 2 Graduate courses (Acoustics of Ducts and Mufflers, and Industrial Noise Control) at IISc since 1968. .
- Ph.D (IISc, 1971),
- M.E (Distn.) (IISc, 1968),
- B.Sc. Engg. (Hons.) (Punjab Univ., 1966).
Noise Control; Mufflers; Silencers; .
INSA Senior Scientist
Facility for Research in Technical Acoustics (FRITA),
Department of Mechanical Engineering,
Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bengaluru – 560 012.
Phone: +91 (80) 2293 2303 / 23603611 (Office)
+91 (80) 23600648 / 23603611 (Fax)
- Ph.D (IISc, 1971)
- M.E (Distn.) (IISc, 1968)
- B.Sc. Engg. (Hons.) (Punjab Univ., 1966)
Awards and Major Professional Recognitions
Fellowship/Membership of Academies and Professional Bodies
- The Science Academy Medal for Young Scientists for the year 1975, awarded by the Indian National Science Academy, for "Significant Contributions to Noise Control and Vehicle Dynamics", and received at the hands of the Hon'ble Prime Minister of India, Mrs. Indira Gandhi.
- Sir C. V. Raman award of the Acoustical Society of India for the best contributed paper during the years 1980-81.
- The 1983 Nelson Acoustical Paper Award (First prize), Wisconsin, U.S.A.
- The Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for the year 1986, awarded by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, India, for "Outstanding Contributions to Engineering Sciences", and received at the hands of the Hon'ble Prime Minister of India, Mr. Rajiv Gandhi.
- Distinguished International Member, Institute of Noise Control Engineering (USA), since 1988. "The status of Distinguished International Member is conferred by the Board of Directors upon eminent, overseas acousticians who have made significant contributions to the theory and/or practice of noise control engineering". The nominee is the only Indian so far to be conferred with this honour.
- Professor Rustom Choksi Award for Excellence in Research for Engineering, 1995.
- M. S. Narayanan Memorial Lecture Award of the Acoustical Society of India, 1995.
- Mira Paul Memorial Award of the Acoustical Foundation for Education and Charitable Trust (AFECT), India, 2000
- Dr. G. P. Chatterjee Memorial Lecture Award of the Indian National Science Academy, 2006
- Professor S. Bhagwantham Award of the Acoustical Society of India, for the years 2005–06.
- Sir C. V. Raman award for the year 2007 for the best contributed paper in the Journal of the Acoustical Society of India.
- DRDO Academic Excellence Award 2009 at the hands of the Hon'ble Prime Minister of India, Dr. Manmohan Singh for "Significant contributions in the analysis and design of stealth linings for submarines, and silencing systems for turbines".
- Honorary Fellowship of the International Institute of Acoustics and Vibration, 2010, for "Outstanding contributions to scientific knowledge in acoustics, noise and vibration".
- Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru National Award in Engineering and Technology for the year 2010, received at the hands of the Hon'ble Minister of Science and Technology, Government of Madhya Pradesh on May 18, 2013 for "significant contributions to Noise Pollution Control".
- Prof. Jai Krishna Memorial Award 2013 of the Indian National Academy of Engineering in recognition of "sustained excellence with ethics".
- Fellow, Indian National Science Academy
- Fellow, Indian Academy of Sciences
- Fellow, Indian National Academy of Engineering
- Fellow, National Academy of Sciences (India)
- Fellow and Ex-President, Acoustical Society of India
- Distinguished International Member, Institute of Noise Control Engineering (USA)
- Member, Indian Society for Technical Education
- Member, European Academy of Sciences Honorary Fellow, International Institute of Acoustics and Vibration
- Member, Research Council of Nelson Industries, Inc., Wisconsin, U.S.A., 1988-1991.
- Member, Research Council of CMERI (1988-1994, 2004- 2007).
- Member, Science and Engineering Research Council of DST, New Delhi (1991-1994, 2004-2007).
- Literature Reviewer of the Shock and Vibration Digest (USA), 1973-1992.
- Occupied the honorary KSIIDC Chair from 1991 to 1994.
- Chaired the Department of Mechanical Engineering from 1991 to 1994.
- Member, Technology Advisory Board (Engineering, Science and Technology) of CSIR, 1994-1998.
- Member, Board of Directors of the International Institute of Acoustics and Vibration, 1995-2001.
- Member, Board of Research of AICTE, 1994-1997.
- Chairman, National Committee for Noise Pollution Control, CPCB, Delhi, since its inception in 1997.
- President, Acoustical Society of India, 1999 and 2000.
- Chairman, Programme Advisory committee in Mechanical, Robotics and Civil Engineering (MeRC) of DST, 2004-2010.
- Expert Member of Sectoral Monitoring Committee of CSIR's Engineering Sciences Cluster (Group II – Innovative Engineering Technology), 2009-2012.
- Convener, Sectional Committee in Engineering Sciences, Indian Academy of Sciences 2010-2012.
- Chairman, Expert Committee on Airport Noise Control, DGCA, New Delhi, since 2010.
- Vice President of the Indian National Science Academy, 2011-2013.
- Delivered a Plenary Lecture on Keynote Address at
- NSA-83 at Bangalore in 1983
- Workshop on Noise Control in Power Industry, in Stockholm, Sweden, 1990
- NSA-93 at Bangalore in 1993
- ICCES'03 at Corfu, Greece in 2003
- ACOUSTICS 2004, Gold Coast, Australia, 2004
- 3rd Regional Conference NVC 2010, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2010
- SIAT 2011, ARAI, Pune, 2011
- IGCM 2011, Solo, Indonesia, March 2011
- ICSV-18, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, 2011
- SIAT 2013, ARAI, Pune, 2013
- ACOUSTICS2013NEWDELHI, New Delhi, November 2013
- NSA-2015, Mysore, Novembre 2015
- Chaired a session and delivered an invited lecture at
- Inter-noise 90 at Gothenburg, Sweden in 1990,
- NOISE-93 at St. Petersburg, Russia, in 1993,
- Inter-noise 95 at Newport Beach, California, USA in 1996
- INDUSVAN-2, Columbus, Ohio, USA, in 2001
- Inter-Noise 2005, Rio de Janeiro, BRAZIL, in 2005
- ICSV14, Cairns, Australia, July 2007
- ICSV15, Daejeon, Korea, July 2008
- ICSV16, Krakow, Poland, July 2009
- NSA-2009, Hyderabad, November 2009
- Inter-Noise 2010, Lisbon, Portugal, June 2010
- ICSV20, Bangkok, Thailand, July 2013
- NOISE-CON 2015, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA, September 2014
- Member, Editorial Board of the
- International Journal of Acoustics and Vibration, since 1996
- International Journal of Condition Monitoring & Diagnostic Engineering and Management (COMADEM), 2000 - 2006
- International Sound and Vibration Digest, since 1995
- International Journal "Noise and Health", 1999 - 2005
- Indian Journal of Engineering and Material Science, since 2001
- Proceeding of the European Academy of Sciences, 2003-2005
- Journal of the Acoustical Society of India, since 2007
- International Journal of Yoga (I-JOY), since 2011
- Chairman, Division of Mechanical Sciences, IISc, 1999-2005
- Convener, Chairmen of Divisions, IISc, 2003-2005
INAE Section Affiliated To : Section III: Mechanical Engineering
Year of Election to Fellowship: 1987
Year of Birth: 1945