Professor Bidyut Baran Chawdhuri
Professor, Indian Statistical Institute
Areas of Interest:
Digital Document Processing, Optical Character Recognition, Handwriting analysis, Natural Language Processing including Lexicon Generation, Ambiguity analysis, Syntactic and Semantic analysis in Bangla and other Indian Languages, Statistical and Fuzzy Pattern Recognition including data clustering and density estimation, Computer Vision and Image Processing, Cognitive Science.
Sector Associated With:
Sectors Interested to Offer Service:
Educational / Academic institutions, R&D Organizations
Major Professional Contributions:
- 1978 - 81 Computer Engineer, Indian Statistical Institute, Calcutta
- 1982 - 86 Associate Professor, Indian Statistical Institute, Calcutta
- 1987 - To date Professor, Indian Statistical Institute, Calcutta
- 1990 - 92 Professor-in-charge, Physical & Earth Sc. Div.
- 1992 - 93 Executive Secretary, KBCS Nodal Centre
- 1993 - Oct. 94 Project Co-ordinator and Head, KBCS Nodal Centre
- Nov. 94 - To date Head, Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Unit,Indian Statistical Institute, Calcutta.
Computer Vision & Pattern Recognition Unit,
Indian Statistical Institute,
203 B. T. Road, Kolkata - 700 108.
Phone : (91) (33) 2575-2852, (91) (33) 2578-1832
Fax : (91) (33) 2577 3035
- B.Tech. ( Electronics) / 1972 / Calcutta University.
- M.Tech. (Communication) / 1974 / Calcutta University.
- Ph. D. / 1980 / Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur.
- Post - Doc / 1981 / Queen's University, U.K.
Awards and Major Professional Recognitions
- LEVERHULME OVERSEAS FELLOW - 1981 by Leverhulme Trust, U.K.
- J. C. BOSE MEMORIAL AWARD - 1986 for best Eng.Sc. oriented paper published in JIETE.
- M. N. SAHA MEMORIAL AWARD - 1989 for the best Engineering Science oriented paper and best Applications oriented paper published in journal of Institute of Elec. and Telecom. Engineering.
- HOMI BHABHA FELLOWSHIP AWARD - 1992. for the development of computer work station for the visually handicapped.
- M. N. SAHA MEMORIAL AWARD - 1992 for the best Engineering Science oriented paper and best Applications oriented paper published in journal of Institute of Elec. and Telecom. Engineering.
- Dr. VIKRAM SARABHAI RESEARCH AWARD -1995 for outstanding contribution in Informatics and Telematics.
- C. ACHUTA MENON PRIZE -1996 for best paper on computational linguistics published in an Indian Journal.
- FELLOW, INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR PATTERN RECOGNITION (FIAPR), USA - 1998
- FELLOW, INSTITUTE OF ELECTRICAL AND ELECTRONICS ENGINEERS (FIEEE), USA. - 2000
- HOMI BHABHA AWARD: APPLIED SCIENCES – 2003 for contribution in Indian language and script technology development.
- JAWAHARLAL NEHRU FELLOWSHIP AWARD – 2004 for work on Indian language OCR problems.
- RAM LAL WADHWA GOLD MEDAL – 2005 for outstanding contribution in Electronics and Telecom Engineering during the last ten years.
- FELLOW, INDIAN NATIONAL SCIENCE ACADEMY (FNA) – 2006 for pioneering research on Indian language technology including OCR.
- J. C. BOSE FELLOWSHIP AWARD – 2010 for pioneering contribution in the field of language processing, OCR and pattern recognition.
- FELLOW, THIRD WORLD ACADEMY OF SCIENCE (FTWAS) – 2011 for pioneering contribution in the field of language technology.
- XVI.OM PRAKASH BHASIN FOUNDATION AWARD – 2012 in the field of electronics and information technology.
INAE Section Affiliated To : Section II: Computer Engineering and Information Technology
Year of Election to Fellowship:
Year of Birth: 1950