Dr. Arunachalam Malaiyandi
Professor and Head, RajaRajeswari College of Engineering, Bangalore
Areas of Interest:
HVDC, FACTS, Industrial Drives, Smart Grid, Micro Grid, Integration of large renewables to Grid
High Power Converters and Controls for HVDC and FACTS
• Design of HVDC Converters classical and Voltage Sourced.
• Testing of High Power Converters as per IEC/IEEE Standards.
• Test Circuits for HVDC and FACTS, classical and VSC based.
• Integration of Large Renewables in to the Grid.
• Power Quality.
• Reactive Power Compensation – SVC and STATCOM.
• Real Time Digital Simulation.
• Applications of DC in distribution levels.
• Field Testing of HVDC and FACTS Systems.
• Test Circuits of High Power Thyristors.
• Simple and economical FACTS Devices and Applications.
• Smart Devices for Smart Cities.
• Series Compensation using FACTS Devices.
Sector Associated With:
Sectors Interested to Offer Service:
Educational / Academic institutions, Industry (Private), Industry (PSUs), R&D Organizations, Government (including funding agencies), Entrepreneurs, Venture Capitalists, Consultancy Firms, Private Agencies, Individuals
Major Professional Contributions:
• Indigenous development of state-of-the art thyristor valves for FACTS devices like SVC, (33Kv,100MVAr) and HVDC (200,kV,200MW) and valve and control for FACTS devices like STATECOM (up to 2.35MVAr), Solid State Phase Shifting Transformer Prototype at 33kV level and Controlled Shunt Reactor for 400kVlines.
• Development of test circuits for FACTS and HVDC thyristor valves.
• Upgradation of converters in National HVDC project and designing and performing relevant type tests for the upgraded valve indigenously.
• Thyristor valves developed both for HVDC and FACTS were put in to commercial operations.
• As an expert member participated in international CIGRE Working Group Task Forces.
- Various positions up to General Manager at Electronics Division, BHEL, Bangalore from 1978 to 2008.
- Senior Specialist (EE) at Electronics Division, BHEL, Bangalore from 2008 to 2012.
- Presently: Professor and Head, Electrical and Electronics Engineering at RajaRajeswari College of Engineering, Bangalore.
HVDC, FACTS, Drives, Dynamic performance, NHVDC, SVC, STATCOM, CSR
- DEGREE Major Year Institution PhD Electrical Engineering 1978 IIT Kanpur (Power Electronics).
- M. Sc. (Engg.) Electrical Engineering (Power System Engineering) 1972 Coimbatore Institute of Technology, Madras University.
- B.E Electrical Engineering Alagappa Chettiar
College of Engineering Madras University.
Awards and Major Professional Recognitions
- BHEL EXCEL Awards 3 times.
- IMPRESS INNOVATIVE Project Award from BHEL.
- Productivity Projects Wards (7 Projects) from BHEL.
- Patents 7 (6 Awarded, 1 under examination).
- Senior Member IEEE.
INAE Section Affiliated To: Section V: Electrical Engineering
Year of Election to Fellowship: 2005
Year of Birth: 1948