Professor Anil K. Bhowmick
Professor of Eminence, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
Areas of Interest:
1) Nanocomposites and Nanotechnology
2) Thermoplastics Elastomers, polymer blends & polymer modification
3) Sustainable materials, recycling & green technology
4) Failure and degradation of polymers
5) Adhesion Science & Technology & Surface Engineering
6) Rubber & Polymer Technology.
Polymer Science and Technology
Rubber Science and Technology.
Sector Associated With:
Sectors Interested to Offer Service:
Educational / Academic institutions
Major Professional Contributions:
Prof. Anil K. Bhowmick has made seminal contributions to polymer science and technology, especially in the area of nanocomposites, thermoplastic elastomers and electron beam processing in recent years. His highly cited work on development of novel rubber nanocomposites and new thermoplastic elastomers, and their structure –property relationship are notable and praiseworthy. His travails on the use of electron beam processing of polymers have been immensely successful. In addition, his endeavors on the scientific understanding of failure and degradation of polymers, compatibilisation of polymer blends, rubber compounding and adhesion phenomenon have left indelible imprints. Many of these scientific investigations have resulted in new technology being practiced across various fields. The awards received, including two from the American Chemical Society for innovative research, Editorial board membership of six major peer reviewed international journals, more than five hundred papers in scientific international journals, six books, twenty five book chapters, twelve patents including two international ones , twenty four technologies being transferred, many research and consultancy projects, numerous invited lectures all over the world, and mentoring of several successful students including forty five Ph.D. graduates bear testimony to his longstanding reputation and recognition in the national and international scientific community .
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur Administration, Teaching & Research July 2000 December 2003 Dean, Sponsored Research & Industrial Consultancy.
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur Administration, Teaching & Research September 2005 September 2007 Head, Rubber Technology Center.
- Indian Institute of Technology, Patna Administration & Teaching July 2009 July 2014 Founder Director.
Anil K. Bhowmick
Professor of Eminence
Rubber Technology Center
Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
Telephone: 91-3222-283180 Fax: 91-3222-220312
- Institute of Polymer Science & Science, The University of Akron, Akron, Ohio, USA Post-Doctoral Fellow 1981-1984 Polymer Science & Technology
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur Ph.D. 1981 Polymer Science & Technology
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur D.I.I.T. 1977 High Polymer & Rubber Technology
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur M.Sc. 1976 Physical Chemistry
- St. Xaviers' College,
The University of Calcutta B.Sc. (Hons.) 1974 Chemistry (Hons), Physics and Mathematics
Awards and Major Professional Recognitions
- Rubber Division, American Chemical Society, USA George Stafford Whitby Award (First Asian to have received the award) 1997
- Indian Thermal Analysis Society, India STANTON-REDCROFT-ITAS Award 1989
- Indian Rubber Manufacturer's Research Association, India
- MRF Award 1990
- Association of Commonwealth Universities, U.K. Commonwealth Award 1990
- Japan Society of Promotion of Science, Japan JSPS Award 1991
- IRMRA-NOCIL NOCIL Award 1995
- All India Rubber Industries Association, India K.M. Philip Gold Medal Award 2001
- Indian National Academy of Engineering, India Fellow 2001
- Iranian Science Society, Iran 15th Khwarizmi International Award for Science 2001
- Rubber Division, American Chemical Society, USA Chemistry of Thermoplastic Elastomers Award for Research (First Asian to have received this award) 2002
- Rubber Division, American Chemical Society, USA Best Paper Award 2004
- Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur Professor of Eminence 2009
- Indian National Science Academy Fellow 2010
INAE Section Affiliated VIII: Mining Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
Year of Election to Fellowship: 2002
Year of Birth: 13/04/1954