Professor Amit Konar
Professor, Dept. of Electronics and Tele-Communication Engineering, Jadavpur University
Areas of Interest:
Artificial Intelligence, Computational Neuroscience, Cognitive Robotics, Embedded Systems.
Perception Engineering, Brain-Computer Interfacing, Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, System science and Control, Sensory-Motor Coordination, Time-Series Prediction, Multi-agent Learning and Planning, Protein-Protein Interaction Network, Drug design for the Alzheimer's Disease, Gesture Recognition, Emotion Recognition and Control, Dynamic and Noisy Optimization, Logic and Reasoning, System Diagnosis, Brain connectivity analysis during cognitive and affective behavior
EEG Analysis, EMG Analysis, Cognitive failure detection in driving, Olfactory Perceptual ability detection of human subjects, Cognitive load detection of software engineers, Microsoft Kinect based Gesture Analysis..
Sector Associated With:
Sectors Interested to Offer Service:
Educational / Academic institutions, Industry (Private), Industry (PSUs), R&D Organizations, Government (including funding agencies), Entrepreneurs, Venture Capitalists, Consultancy Firms, Private Agencies, Individuals
Major Professional Contributions:
Amit Konar has made significant contributions to R&D and consultancy services in the broad area of machine intelligence and pattern recognition, covering diversified applications, including human-computer interfaces, pollution control and robotics. A few of his professional achievements include the design and development of hand-tremor control for Parkinsonian patients, automated sun-tracking system, Prediction of pollution level on the Ganges near the industrial area of Kolkata, design and implementation of a mind controlled robotic arm for upper limb prosthetic applications, bypassing the visual-motor coordination of the brain by external signal mapping and tea-taster selection by EEG-based olfactory classification..
- DRDO-funded Project on Missile Dynamics and Control,Jadavpur University 1985.
- Teaching and Research at Jadavpur University 1985- continued..
Microsoft Kinect based Gesture Analysis
Emotion Recognition and Control
Stability Analysis of Dynamics
Fuzzy Sets and Systems
Neural, Swarm and Evolutionary Computing
Uncertainty Management of Engineering Systems
Department of Electronics and Tele-Communication Engineering,
Jadavpur University, Kolkata- 700 032,
- Bachelor of Engineering from Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology,Howrah, 1983.
- Master degree in Control Engineering, Dept. of Electronics and Tele-Communication Engg., Jadavpur University, Kolkata, 1985.
- Master of Philosophy (M. Phil.) in Environmental Science (Specialization: Multi-species Dynamics and Chaos), 1988.
4)Ph.D. in Artificial Intelligence, Jadavpur University, 1994.
Awards and Major Professional Recognitions
- Fellow of National Academy of Engineering (FNAE), 2015
- Fellow of West Bengal Academy of Science and Technology, 2012
- Career Award for Young Teachers, offered by AICTE, 1997-2000
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy systems, 2010-continued
- Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Part-A, 2010-2014.
- Associate Editor, Neurocomputing, Elsevier, 2008-continued
- Associate Editor Applied Soft Computing, Elsevier, 2013-continued.
- PI in UGC-funded University with Potential for Excellence Program in Cognitive Science, 2005-continued
- PI in UGC's Special Support for the DRS scheme on Expert Systems and applications, 1995-2003
- PI in AICTE funded Vision Based Robotic Navigation Project, 1998-2001
INAE Section Affiliated To : Section II: Computer Engineering and Information Technology
Year of Election to Fellowship: 2015
Year of Birth: 1963