Dr. A. L. Chandraker
Executive Director(BHEL,R&D)( Retd) ; Currently Vice President MAN Turbomachinery India Pvt Ltd, MAN Turbomachinery India Pvt Ltd
Areas of Interest:
STEAM TURBINE BLADES & STEAM FLOW PATH DESIGN, CFD (TURBOMACHINERY).
AEROACOUSITCS and AERODYNAMIC DESIGN OF TURBOMACHINES
STEAM TURBINE BLADE & STEAM FLOW PATH DESIGN, CFD(TURBOMACHINERY).
Sector Associated With:
Sectors Interested to Offer Service:
Educational / Academic institutions, R&D Organizations
Major Professional Contributions:
I. Designed High Speed 8 MW Impulse Steam Turbine Blades ( Cylindrical & Low Pressure twisted ones); which was proven by CFD analysis as well as experimental tests in transonic & subsonic cascade tunnels .Total design , manufacturing ,assembly and testing of the total turbine was done successfully and the machine is in operation.
II. A Centre of Excellence for CFD (COE-CFD) is established at Corp. R&D under my leadership for simulation of Power Plant equipments such as turbines, steam and nuclear generators, compressors and pumps, electrical motors and generators, among others.
III. Five numbers of US Patents granted for design of new type of Steam Turbine and Hydro-turbine Blades; during 2003-2007.
IV. Published/Presented more than 50 technical papers in journals and conferences; and BHEL Internal Reports.
V. During last 5 yrs in MAXWATT ,Designed and guided Design Group related to more than 50 new steam turbines flow paths and corresponding bladings.
- 1978(July 14) : Joined as Senior Engineer ,BHEL R&D: Activities: Turbo-machine Design
- 1982(June 25):Promoted as Dy Manager, Activities: Devp of FEM based Flow Software
- 1985(June 25): Promoted as Manager, Activities: Devp of FEM /FVM based Flow Software
- 1989(June 25): Promoted as Senior Manager, Activities: Devp of Steam Turbine/Hydro Turbine Blades
- 1993(June 25): Promoted as Dy General Manager, Activities: Creation of CFD Group
- 1996(June 25):Promoted as Sr Dy General Manager, Activities: Design of Steam Turbine LP Modules & Kaplan Runners
- 1997(June 25): Promoted as Add General Manager, Activities: CFD group orientation to Furnace & HRSG modeling besides Turbines, Compressor & Pumps Design;became Fellow,INAE in Jan 2000
- 2000(June 25):Promoted as General Manager (Chief), Activities: (a)Creation of Centre of Excellence for CFD; (b)Total OEM design of 8 MW High Speed Impulse Steam Turbine and followed up to Fabrication, Assembly ,Benchmark testing and final application for compressor test drive run; (c)Redesign of de-rated Vacuum Ejection System of CFFP Furnace;(d)5 nos of US Patents on Blade design sealed
- 2008(March 24):Promoted as Group General Manager & Head for CorpR&D Division, Hyderabad, Became BHEL Management Committee Member
- 2008(Nov 6):Promoted as Executive Director & continued as Head for CorpR&D Division,Hyderabad, and BHEL Management Committee Member
Since Nov 2009 till date holding post of Vice President(R&D)
- Design of steam flow paths and blading for more than 50 steam turbines of various ratings:300kw to 12 MW for various industrial applications.
- Training of design engineers for steam turbine design from fundamentals to software based.
- Development of various blading softwares to design and aerodynamically analyse and integrating with steam flow path software.
- Design of cylindrical, taper, taper & twisted blades with aerodynamic characterization such as loss-coefficient , exit angles, Mach number, solidity etc.
STEAM TURBINE , BLADE, CFD.
Residence: A-8/2,BHEL Colony ,Opp. Loyola Degree College, Old Alwal,Hyderabad-500010
Tel :091-40-27861345, Mobile:08106468500
- HSSC 1966, MP Board of Secondary Education (Govt.
- Higher Secondary School;1966) 86.2 %, State Rank-holder
- Batchelor of Engineering (Mechanical Engineering , Ravi Shanker Univ,Raipur,Chhatisgarh,India;1971); 3rd Univ Rank-holder ;74% in Final Year
- Master of Engineering (Mechanical Engineering, IISc, Bangalore ;1973);CGPA 3.34/4.0
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D. Indian Institute Of Science,Bangalore;1979)
Awards and Major Professional Recognitions
- Willey Memorial Award,FMFP,Roorkee,1983 for Best Technical Paper from Industry
- Visiting Fellow ; Whittle Laboratory, University of Cambridge, UK in 1987
Fellow , Indian National Academy of Engineering (Lifetime since yr 2000)
- National Design Award in Mechanical Engineering-2007 by The Institution of Engineers (India)-National Design & Research Forum; for Outstanding Contribution in
- Mechanical Engineering
I. Visiting Fellowship to University Engineering Department (Whittle lab.) University of Cambridge ,UK in 1987.
II. Technical Interaction with Siemens (Mulheim, Germany) on Blade Design & Vetting; in 1994
III. Chairing a technical session at 4th International Conference on Laminar & Turbulent Flows, Swansea, University of Wales, U.K .;in 1985.
IV. Interaction with Prof Perviz Moin, Director, Center for Turbulence Research at Stanford University, California, USA during Oct 2007 on CFD simulation of total GT engine.
INAE Section Affiliated To : Section III: Mechanical Engineering
Year of Election to Fellowship: 2000
Year of Birth: 1949