Mr KESHAV KRISHNA VAZE
Raja Ramanna Fello; Retired as Distinguished Scientist and Director, Reactor Design & Development Group BARC, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre
Areas of Interest:
Nuclear Reactor Safety, Pressure Vessel & Piping Design, Earthquake Engineering, Structural Analysis & Design, Fracture Mechanics, Structural Integrity Assessment, Fitness-for-purpose evaluation, Failure Analysis.
Nuclear Reactor Safety, Earthquake Engineering, Structural Integrity Assessment, Structural Analysis & Design
1. Structural Analysis of 32 m diameter antenna for ECIL/ISTRAC
2. Stress Analysis of Converter Vessel and heat exchanger of a Sulphuric Acid Plant for M/S Humphrey & Glasgow
3. Thermal Stress Analysis and Fatigue Evaluation of Converter Vessel for M/s Kvaerner Powergas India Ltd.
4. Instrumented Hydrostatic Pressure Test of Bifurcation and Trifurcation Joints for M/s. Tata Electric Company:
5. Fitness-for-purpose Evaluation of a Storage Tank after Excessive Settlement of Foundation for M/s Ganesh Benzoplast:
6. Investigation of the Accident at Maharashtra Gas Cracker Complex, Nagothane
7. Failure Analysis of a Naphtha Storage Tank for M/s BPCL
8. Failure Analysis of Methanol Converter Vessel for M/s Deepak Fertilizers
Sector Associated With:
Sectors Interested to Offer Service:
Major Professional Contributions:
1. Nuclear Reactor Safety
• Participated in the entire gamut of Regulating Review process from giving consent for construction, commissioning and operation to regular Regulatory oversight through Safety Committee.
2. Earthquake Engineering
• Seismic Analysis and Design of of Nuclear Reactor Buildings, Equipment and Piping
• Seismic Revaluation of Older generation Nuclear Reactors
• Wide-ranging experimental work to verify the design adequacy as well as to assess seismic margins.
3. Structural Integrity Assessment
• Performed structural integrity assessment for PHWR Coolant Channel, TAPS 1&2 Reactor Pressure Vessel, Feeder Piping etc.
4. Research and Development efforts in the areas of safety
• Conducted R&D activities in the areas of structural integrity, fracture and fatigue
5. Promoting R&D
• Interacted with educational institutes such as IITs, IISc, NITs and Research institutes such as SERC, CPRI, NML etc. and executed collaborative projects involving specimen as well as large scale component testing.
6. International Collaboration
• Indo-German collaboration with MPA, Stuttgart
o Behaviour of post-installed anchors under seismic loading
o Nonlinear behavior of beam-column joints under seismic loading
• Indo-French collaboration with CEA, Saclay
o Modelling of damage due to cyclic tearing phenomenon in piping subjected to seismic loading
o Member of Nuclear Safety Standards Committee
7. Structural Analysis & Design
• Preliminary Design of major components of Prototype Fast Breeder Reactor
• Analysis and design of various components of PHWRs and AHWR
• Consultancy services in the areas of structural analysis and fitness-for-purpose evaluation for Indian industries including Tata Electric Companies, Humphrey & Glasgow, Davy Power Gas
- Forty years of experience in the areas of Nuclear Reactor Safety, Earthquake Engineering, Structural Integrity Assessment, Structural Analysis and Design, and R&D in Nuclear Safety.
- Director, Reactor Design & Development Group, BARC; from May 2012 to Aug 2014
- Associate Director, Reactor Design & Development Group, BARC;from March 2011 to April 2012
- Head, Reactor Safety Division; from July 2010 to Feb 2011.
Nuclear Reactor Safety
Pressure Vessel & Piping Design
Structural Analysis & Design
Structural Integrity Assessment
12, Pratik Regency, Sneh Paradise
Near MIT College
Kothrud, Pune 411038
- B. Tech. in Mechanical Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay (IITB), 1973
- Graduate of 17th Batch of BARC Training School, 1974
Awards and Major Professional Recognitions
- Raja Ramanna Fellow since April 2015
- Recipient of Indian Nuclear Society (INS) Award: Nuclear Reactor Technology, including Reactor Safety, 2007
- DAE Special Contributions Award, 2007
- DAE Group Achievement Award 2010, 2015
INAE Section Affiliated IX: Energy Engineering
Year of Election to Fellowship: 2011
Year of Birth: 1950