Professor Ujjwal Maulik
Professor, Jadavpur University
Areas of Interest:
Pattern Recognition and Data Mining, Soft Computing, Bioinformatics, Parallel and Distributed System, Social Network, Energy management .
Computational Intelligence, Data Mining, Bioinformatics, Optimization
Data Analytic, Social Network Analysis, Bioinformatics, Energy management .
Sector Associated With:
Sectors Interested to Offer Service:
Educational / Academic institutions, Industry (Private), Industry (PSUs), R&D Organizations, Government (including funding agencies), Entrepreneurs, Venture Capitalists, Law Enforcement Agencies, Consultancy Firms, Private Agencies, Individuals
Major Professional Contributions:
Major scientific contributions focus on the fusion of computational intelligence and pattern recognition, their real life application in computational biology, remote sensing and medical image analysis. It is a break through work which proposed the use of center-based encoding for cluster seeking using genetic algorithms, resulting in faster convergence. Consequently, it became possible to partition large data sets using evolutionary clustering avoiding getting stuck at local optima.
Development of archive based multiobjective simulated annealing (AMOSA) method using novel concepts of amount of domination and situation specific acceptance probabilities.
Pioneering contributions in multiobjective evolutionary clustering (MOEC) and biclustering (MOBC).
- Dr. Ujjwal Maulik is a Professor in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India since 2004. He has chaired the Department of Computer Science and Technology Kalyani Govt. Engg. College, Kalyani, India during 1996-1999
- Dr. Maulik has worked in Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico, USA in 1997
- University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia in 1999, University of Texas at Arlington, USA in 2001
- University of Maryland Baltimore County, USA in 2004, Fraunhofer Institute AiS, St. Augustin, Germany in 2005
- Tsinghua University, China in 2007
- University of Rome, Italy in 2008
- University of Heidelberg, Germany in 2009
- German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ) in 2010, 2011 and 2012,
- Grenoble INP, France in 2010, 2013 and 2014
- ICM, Univ. of Warsaw, Poland in 2013
- International Center of Theoretical Physics (ICTP), Trieste, Italy in 2014
- University of Padoa in 2014
- Corvinus University Budapest, Hungary, 2015
- and University of Ljubljana, Slovenia, 2015
- He has also visited many Institutes/Universities around the world for invited lectures and collaborative research. He has been invited to supervise doctoral student in well known university in France. Dr. Maulik is a co-author of 7 books and more than 275 research publications.ICTP, Italy in 2012
- He coordinators five Erasmus Mundus Mobility with Asia (EMMA) programs (European-Asian mobility program)
- Dr. Maulik has been the Program Chair, Tutorial Chair and Member of the program committee of many international conferences and workshops
- He is the Associate Editors of "IEEE Transaction on Fuzzy Systems" and "Information Sciences" and also in the editorial board of many journals including "Protein & Peptide Letters"
- Moreover, he has also served as guest co-editors of special issues of journals including "IEEE Transaction on Evolutionary Computation"
- He is the founder Member of IEEE Computational Intelligen ce Society (CIS) Chapter, Kolkata section and has worked as Secretary and Treasurer in 2011, as Vice Chair in 2012 and as the Chair in 2013, 2014 as well as 2016
Computational Intelligence, Multiobjective Optimization, Energy Optimization, Social Network Analysis, Bioinformatics.
Department of Computer Science and Engineering
Phone: 91 33 2413 1766
Fax: 91 33 2413 1766
- B. Sc, Physics, 1986, Calcutta University
- B. Tech, Computer Science and Engineering, 1990, Calcutta University
- M.Tech, Computer Science and Engineering, 1992, Jadavpur University
- PhD, Computer Science, 1997, Jadavpur University
Awards and Major Professional Recognitions
- Best paper award in the Int. Conf. on Computational Intelligence and Communication Networks, Nov.14-16, Kolkata, India, 2014.
- Senior Associate, The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) (http://assoc.ictp.it/associateship-scheme/list-associates/), Italy, since 2012.
- Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship for Experience Researchers, Germany, 2010, 2011 and 2012.
- Juthika Chattopadhyay Science Award, Science Association of Bengal, India, 2012.
The Certificate of Merit Award for Contributed Paper, International Conference on Operations Research, Hongkong, 2008.
- Recipient of fellowship from Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) ICTP, Trieste, Italy, 2007.
- Recipient of CIMPA UNESCO MALAYSIA fellowship from International Center for Pure and Applied Mathematics, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2006.
- Best Paper Award in the Workshop on Soft Computing, High Performance Computing (HiPC), Hyderabad, 2003.
- Outstanding Young Person, Kolkata, Science and Innovation, North Calcutta Junior Chamber, Kolkata, India, 2003.
- Recipient of BOYSCAST fellowship from the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India in the year 2000-2001.
- Recipient of fellowship from International Center for Pure and Applied Mathematics, Nice, France, 1996.
- Recipient of fellowship from International Center for Pure and Applied Mathematics, Nice, France, 1994.
- National Fellowship during Master of Engineering, 1991-1992, on the basis of GATE-90.
- State Fellowship during Bachelor of Technology, 1986-1989, for academic achievements in B.Sc.
INAE Section Affiliated II: Computer Engineering and Information Technology
Year of Election to Fellowship: 2013
Year of Birth: 1965