Professor MAITHILI SHARAN
Professor, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi
Areas of Interest:
Applied Mathematics; Atmospheric Sciences; Air Pollution Modelling.
Atmospheric Dispersion; Atmospheric boundary layer; Mathematical and computational techniques
Sector Associated With:
Sectors Interested to Offer Service:
Educational / Academic institutions, Industry (PSUs), R&D Organizations, Government (including funding agencies)
Major Professional Contributions:
1) Dispersion of atmospheric pollutants in low winds,
(2) Inverse modeling techniques for identification of emission sources,
(3) Charcteristics of weak and strong wind boundary layers,
(4) Surface layer parameterizations,
(5) Numerical simulation of infamous Bhopal gas episode,
(6) Modelling of oxygen transport in brain micro-circulation.
(7) Blood oxygenation in the lungs.
- Head, Centre for Atmospheric Sciences, IIT Delhi, Sept. 1, 2004-Aug 31, 2007.
- Professor, IIT Delhi, since May 1995-.
- Assistant Professor, IIT Delhi, Nov 1990-May 1995.
- Senior Scientific Officer I, IIT Delhi, Nov 1987-April 1990.
- Lecturer, IIT Delhi Feb 1982-Nov 1987 & May 1990-Nov 1990.
- Research Assistant, IIT Delhi, June 1978-Feb 1982.
- Research Fellow, IIT Delhi, Aug 1975-June 1978.
- Lecturer (Maths), Govt. College, Nathdwara, Rajasthan, Nov 1974-May 1975.
Atmospheric Science; Mathematical Modelling & Simulation; Air Pollution Modelling; Bio-fluid mechanics. .
Phone: +91-11-26591312 (Off), 26591946 & 26515480 (Res)
- Post Doctoral Fellow, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, USA, 1986-87.
- Ph.D., Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, 1982.
- M.Sc. (Maths), University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, 1974.
- B.Sc., University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, 1972.
Awards and Major Professional Recognitions
- Prestigious S.S.Bhatanagar award in Mathematical Sciences, 1992.
- J.C. Bose Fellowship DST, Govt of India, 2015-.
- Meghnad Saha award in Theoretical Sciences, 2004.
- Elected member of Johns Hopkins Society of Scholars, Baltimore, USA, 2005.
- Elected Fellow, Indian National Science Academy, 1995.
- Elected Fellow, National Academy of Sciences, India, 1999.
- Elected Fellow, Indian National Academy of Engineering, 2005.
- Indira Gandhi Priyadarishini Award, 1995.
- Outstanding Research Contribution by IIT Delhi, 1989-91.
- Gold Medal, Bharatiya Kala Sansthan, 1989.
- INSA Young Scientist award, 1984.
- Gold Medal, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, 1974.
- National Scholarship, Govt. of India, 1972-74.
- Merit Scholarship, Govt. of Rajasthan, 1969-72.
INAE Section Affiliated X: Interdisciplinary Engineering and Special Fields
Year of Election to Fellowship: 2006
Year of Birth: 1953