Dr. T. C. Rao
Independent consultant, Retd. Worked in Metallurgical Engn Dept. at IIT Kanpur; Dean Faculties and Head of Department of Fuel and Mineral Engineering at Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad; and also as a Director AMPRI Bhopal (CSIR)
Areas of Interest:
Mineral and Coal Preparation, Human Resource Development: Management of R&D Systems.
Modeling of Unit operations in Mineral and Coal Preparation, Optimization of Plant performances, Evaluation of Mineral / Coal related R&D Systems
- Mineral/coal processing: Hindustan Zinc Ltd. (HZL); Hutti Gold Mines (HGL); Hindustan Copper Ltd., (HCL), Indian Rare Earth Ltd., (IREL), NMDC, Coal India Ltd., MSPL, Bhajrang Steel, KNK Corporation.
- R&D Institutes: TISCO R&D, CSIR Research Laboratory, India, Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad (ISM)
- Mineral Processing Manufacturing Industries: TEGA India, CDE Asia, Eriez India Ltd, McNally Bharat Engg. India, , Adani Group, Ahmedabad.
Sector Associated With:
Sectors Interested to Offer Service:
Educational / Academic institutions, Industry (Private), Industry (PSUs), R&D Organizations, Government (including funding agencies), Venture Capitalists, Consultancy Firms, Private Agencies, Individuals
Major Professional Contributions:
1)Started B. Tech. Programme in Mineral Engineering at Indian School of Mines; one of its kind in India.
- Rakha Concentrator- Hindustan Copper Ltd - 30 % increase in capacity Classification.
- Sudamidh Coal Washery – BCCL Recovery increased from 23 to 30% Froth Flotation.
- Kathara Coal Washery - Coal India Ltd Recovery increased from 30 to 60% Froth Flotation.
- West BokaroWashery II-TISCO 33% increase in yield Heavy Medium cyclone / Flotation.
- West BokaroWashery I-TISCO 5% increase in yield Installation of Vorsyl Separator in place of HMC.
- Hindustan Zinc Ltd., Udaipur 10% increase in throughput Grinding Circuit.
- Hutti Gold Mines Company Ltd. 20% increase in throughput Grinding Circuit.
Mineral Preparation, Coal Preparation
Prof. (Dr.) T. C. Rao
House No: 11-12-362; Road No: 6,
Sri Rama Krishnapuram,
Phone: +91 8008299257
- B.Sc., (Hons.) Geology Andhra University, Waltair, India 1959.
- M.Sc. Ore Dressing Andhra University, Waltair, India 1960.
- PhD Mineral Engineering University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia 1965.
Awards and Major Professional Recognitions
- 1978 National Mineral Award Govt. of India. In recognition of contributions to coal preparation.
- 1983 Indranil Award, MGMI. For contributions in Metallurgy.
- 1985 National Metallurgist's Day
Award, Govt. of India. For the work carried out in coal washeries, Industrial Hydrocyclones and Comminution circuits.
- 1990 PanditLajja Shankar Jha,
Award, Govt. of M.P. For outstanding contributions in Engineering and Technology.
- 1997 Mining Engineering Design Award, The Institution of Engineers (I) For promoting and advancing Engineering Design.
- 1998 IIME Coal Beneficiation Award For outstanding contribution in the field of Coal Beneficiation.
- 2000 Distinguished Scientist Award, Madhya Pradesh Council of Science and Technology For outstanding contribution in the field of Material Science.
- 2007 BasantSamman Award ; Indian School of Mines For excellence in Education and Research.
- 2013 Coal Preparation Innovation Award (The Coal Preparation Society of India).
- 2015 Australian Alumni Award Outstanding Achievement in Science & Technology by Australian Alumni Association - India.
INAE Section Affiliated To: Section VIII: Mining Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
Year of Election to Fellowship: 1992
Year of Birth: 1940